jotul 602 manual

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwammy

Jan 9, 2010
Central NC
hello everyone, may name is Sam. i just installed a wood stove in my shop (23'x20' steel building 9-10' ceiling). the stove is a glo-fire brand. from my research i've found that it is a Jotul 602 knockoff. so i'm looking for the manual for the Jotul to help me use my glo-fire correctly as there just isn't much of any info out there on them. real basic stuff like what position do i put the damper in (i guess thats what it is, the plate in the top above the fire) right now i'm using it with the damper to the back so the flames aren't going up the chimney, seems wrong in one sense and right in the other so here i am. any info you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Sam

thank you so much stint9. using my fluke 88 multimeter to check my temps by putting the temp probe in the crack on the drop in cooking plate (don't yet know what thats called). i'm getting about 440° with the door open and it drop by almost 100° when i close it and leave the air inlet on the door open (don't know what thats called either, lol). i can answer pretty much any automotive question but when it comes to wood stoves i'm not too highly informed...yet. i hope to one day become an expert as it seems many of you are now. thanks again.

EDIT: just checked the link, the Jotul manual says nothing about the damper plate (my name for it). should i leave it where it is? (all the way back where the smoke must go to the front and around the damper to go out)

There is only one control on the 602, that is the air control spinner on the front door. Is the damper being referred to on the flue pipe?

BeGreen said:
There is only one control on the 602, that is the air control spinner on the front door. Is the damper being referred to on the flue pipe?

there is a plate inside of the stove that i can slide back and forth. the flue is on the back half of the stove just like the 602. the plate im speaking of can slide back and cover the area a few inches under the flue. it causes the smoke to go forward and around it when its in the back position. if i slide it forward then the smoke (and flame) are free to go right up the chimney, but it seems better as far as the airflow goes. just wondering where i should put it. as hard as i've tried i cannot get the stove temp up much higher than 450°. seems there is no chance of overheating it no matter what i do. do i need a damper in the flue?

That's interesting. What model Glo-Fire is this?. It sounds like this may be a flue bypass. That would be very different from the 602. If it is a bypass, I would guess it would be run open when starting the fire and then partially (or maybe fully?) closed off once the stove was hot. Can you post some pictures of this assembly and the control?

heres a pic from tonight:

kodakC763726.jpg

the plate in question is the one 3/4 up in the pic with the grooves in it. it is in the rearward position.

Status
Not open for further replies.