Jotul American 3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2009
West of Boston, MA
My brother has an older Jotul woodstove that they say is a Jotul American Series 3 and trying to find pricing for it, NO problems with it, used it while living in MA but now in apt so do not need the stove. I will buy it from him if he does not get the reasonable $$ but we are not sure what is reasonable. It heated his uninsulated garage he had as a family from when company came and it was really warm in there. I would love to have it but have the Vermont Casting Resolute circa 1985 but do not find I am getting the heat from it even though it is up to 700 degrees with Flu open but once I shut the flu it slowly goes down. I will talk about his on another post but do want to know a reasonable price to sell the Jotul for so my bro gets its worth from it.
thanks

Moved both threads to the Classic Stove forum for more targeted responses.

If this is a Jotul F3 it's not bigger than the Resolute. I don't know it's exact capacity, but I would guess the Resolute to be about 50% greater. If the stove is in great condition it could be worth maybe $400? But read the other thread first. I think we need to understand the issue(s) first.

sandie said:
My brother has an older Jotul woodstove that they say is a Jotul American Series 3 and trying to find pricing for it, NO problems with it, used it while living in MA but now in apt so do not need the stove. I will buy it from him if he does not get the reasonable $$ but we are not sure what is reasonable. It heated his uninsulated garage he had as a family from when company came and it was really warm in there. I would love to have it but have the Vermont Casting Resolute circa 1985 but do not find I am getting the heat from it even though it is up to 700 degrees with Flu open but once I shut the flu it slowly goes down. I will talk about his on another post but do want to know a reasonable price to sell the Jotul for so my bro gets its worth from it.
thanks

It's a nice stove. I sold them new for about $599 in black and $799+ in enamel. They were made about 1985-1990 or so.

I'd say if in excellent condition about 1/2 those new prices - 300 for black and 400 for enamel...at the higher retail end. Maybe $100 less to a friend.

About 4 years ago I purchased a used Jotul 3 TD for $400. It was built in 1987, enamel coated, and in excellent condition. I've been very happy with the stove but only use it to heat a vacation home in spring and fall.

ChipTam

Status
Not open for further replies.