Jotul Castine 400 Fire lighting procedure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
central Texas
I will follow the manual for breaking in my Jotul Castine 400, but is the "best" practice of starting a fire in normal operating conditions about the same as the Jotul Oslo 500 mentioned in another thread? I grew up with a fireplace, and have bbqd all my life, but a wood stove is a different animal, and as I understand it, no lighter fluid should be used. Thanks for the pointers.

Top left of your screen has a search engine for the site which searches titles only. Type firestarting and have a pot of coffee with you. TONS of stuff for you to experiment with.

There is no "best" practice because there are so many variables involved. Everyone ends up getting their own preferences however. I've been going back and forth on my methods lately just trying stuff out.

I don't disagree with other suggestions but have refined it a bit for burning nights and weekends. Fill fire box maybe 2/3 full in the crack between top 2 splits spread 2 cups of hardwood pellets (yes as in pellet stove) and 1/2 super cedar or other small fire starter then light. Add 2 more 1/4 splits and close the door over to maybe 1" open and keep this way til top logs ignite; close door with draft wide open. At stove top temp of 300 close to 3/4 at 400 close to 1/2, at 500 close draft to 1/4. The fire box is relatively small so replacing kindling with pellets saves space for wood that will generate a good amount of heat.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.