Jotul F3cb secondary burn video

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey tooth, nice video. Are you running with primary air closed down all the way? I had mine running at 500* with it shut down last evening. Incredible blue secondaries about 2 hrs into the burn with maple shorts and uglies. I can't wait for a full load of oak or cherry when the real cold hits. Still learning when to start closing the primary down, but I'm getting there.

fishingpol said:
Hey tooth, nice video. Are you running with primary air closed down all the way? I had mine running at 500* with it shut down last evening. Incredible blue secondaries about 2 hrs into the burn with maple shorts and uglies. I can't wait for a full load of oak or cherry when the real cold hits. Still learning when to start closing the primary down, but I'm getting there.

Yes I closed the air all the way . I started a top down fire with 3 small splits , 2 medium , and 2 full size pieces of poplar . Once the little stuff was burnt down to coals and the largest splits were burning i added 1 more medium sized split , once that ignited the stove reached the 500 mark and i started to close the air down the secondaries lit off when it was about 90% closed . I closed the air all the way down and they stayed lit for quite awhile .

I have had no luck with top-down after a few good attempts. Bottom-up is working great with the start up lever in the door. I am amazed that it runs steady at 500* with the primary shut.

fishingpol said:
I have had no luck with top-down after a few good attempts. Bottom-up is working great with the start up lever in the door. I am amazed that it runs steady at 500* with the primary shut.

I watched the video ( from Canada ) in one of the other post about top down fires . I made the news paper knots ( i think i used 4 knots ) and put in 2 small pieces of fat wood . Lit off the newspaper and shut the door after 5 or 10 minutes i closed off the start up air and the fire took off pretty well .

Once i closed off the air and the secondaries lit the stove maintained the 500 mark for awhile .

It was never a problem when I had the little brother F-100 last season. My wood is 12 -18% MC, plenty of kindling. It has been damp with low pressure, maybe part of the reason. But, bottom up - off like a rocket. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.