Jotul f600 Baffle Blanket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robertrobert

Oct 18, 2012
I was wondering what purpose the baffle blanket serves in the Jotul 600? Is it necessary? It is rather flimsy and ends up in pieces when removed (to clean out stove) after several times. Thanks

insulates baffle, raises combustion efficiency
necessary

What he said . . . bottom line . . . it's useful, don't throw it out . . . but you can kind of piece meal it back together so it kind of forms a blanket even if it's not all nice looking.

It helps keep heat in the firebox, but is not ABSOLUTELY necessary (according to the stove doctor that worked on my stove)

If you keep your firebox hotter it will burn more efficient. Its a big help at your stoves lowest settings. The idea on a non-cat stove is to be able to keep the secondaries flaming at your stoves lowest setting.

It helps keep heat in the firebox, but is not ABSOLUTELY necessary (according to the stove doctor that worked on my stove)
thats what lazy or uninformed sweeps say when they want to remove them and not replace them
insulating the baffle to prevent damage is necessary imo

thats what lazy or uninformed sweeps say when they want to remove them and not replace them
insulating the baffle to prevent damage is necessary imo
Perhaps I should have elaborated.....it is preferred to have the blanket in place, however, the stove can operate without the blanket there. I am not certain how the blanket being missing would result in damage but am curious now.

Status
Not open for further replies.