Jotul Kennenbec or Clydesdale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bodeen

Apr 27, 2006
So dealer says Kennebec or Clydesdale are what he recommends. I am leaning Jotul Mainly because the Feedback on this site is all positive, aesthetics, grew up with a two door stove, the warden likes it. The Clydesdale does nopt have as much feedback on it and the ones that are there arent good. I know that doesnt make'em all bad but.......

Looking for an online retailer suggestion for a liner kit too. Dealer wants $949 for a 25', six inch liner kit and no insulation or installation for that! Seems high to me. Any input is gladly accepted.

Thanks for all the help thus far!

Bodeen

Bodeen, the Kennebec has a loyal following. It's a great looking stove. But it would help to know more about your needs and installation. Where are you located? How big a house, how well insulated? Where is the stove going? (basement, living room, kitchen, etc.)

Edit:
Found from the older threadthat you are in Northern VA. Questions answered, no need to reply. Mike Wilson can tell you more about the Jotul.

Yep, Kennebec poster child here...

I read your post, 1000sq/ft house, 12' ceilings... so far no problems. My only concern would be the 1" insulation on your tin roof... not too certain how well that will hold the heat compared to whatever weather you get there for the winters. Here it has become the primary heat source for 1 of the 3 zones in the house, 1700sq/ft, 24 and 34' cathedral ceilings, pretty good insulation. I don't think the Kennebec would have a problem heating the home, and it will definitely hold a fire overnight, 8 hours is more than reliable for a burn time, I can restart from coals even after 12, with a good evening coal bed. Make sure you get a 6" liner, whatever stove you eventually purchase. I had no liner year 1, stove worked well, but when I had the liner installed the performance increased significantly, particularly burn time. Its like a machine now, very predictable. Maintenance-wise, I clean the ashes out, (leaving some on the bottom) once per week. The flue is very clean, I'll clean it this summer. I am re-gasketing the doors this year, after its second season. Some are a little pinched/crushed. Glass stays clean, even if I damper it down overnight, which causes the usual 1" of brown on the bottom outside corners... burns off within an hour or so of getting it up to temp.
I bought mine in Iron color, there's a photo of it on Hearthnet somewhere, along with some black ones. Mine's the one against the beige flush granite surround.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

-- Mike

Hello-
I'm also new to this forum and I'm in the process of buying an insert and would appreciate your opinions. Mike, we live in the same area, Suffolk Cty, and it seems your use of the kennebec might be similar to mine.

I live in a colonial with 2 zones and my masonry fireplace is in my den which has 10' ceiling with average insulation. Do you guys think it is reasonable to expect to reduce my heating bills by 50% (my goal) with this size stove. It only has a 1.6 cu.ft firebox. It seems amazing to me that Mike you can get it to burn 8 hrs. unless its because you're very experienced at it.

My other choice is the Quad 4100 which would probably handle the area however my wife doesn't love the looks of any other insert exept the Jotul although the Quad is a near 2nd...so she is willing to do what we have to do.

Thanks- Jim

jimny said:
Hello-
I'm also new to this forum and I'm in the process of buying an insert and would appreciate your opinions. Mike, we live in the same area, Suffolk Cty, and it seems your use of the kennebec might be similar to mine.

I live in a colonial with 2 zones and my masonry fireplace is in my den which has 10' ceiling with average insulation. Do you guys think it is reasonable to expect to reduce my heating bills by 50% (my goal) with this size stove. It only has a 1.6 cu.ft firebox. It seems amazing to me that Mike you can get it to burn 8 hrs. unless its because you're very experienced at it.

My other choice is the Quad 4100 which would probably handle the area however my wife doesn't love the looks of any other insert exept the Jotul although the Quad is a near 2nd...so she is willing to do what we have to do.

Thanks- Jim

jimmy, why not just start your own thread? i have already responded to this in a different thread that you posted the same question in. This thread is OLD :) and welcome to the forum.

bodeen said:
So dealer says Kennebec or Clydesdale are what he recommends. I am leaning Jotul Mainly because the Feedback on this site is all positive, aesthetics, grew up with a two door stove, the warden likes it. The Clydesdale does nopt have as much feedback on it and the ones that are there arent good. I know that doesnt make'em all bad but.......

Looking for an online retailer suggestion for a liner kit too. Dealer wants $949 for a 25', six inch liner kit and no insulation or installation for that! Seems high to me. Any input is gladly accepted.

Thanks for all the help thus far!

Bodeen

That is a high price for a liner kit. Look around on the net, like Ebay or Harts hearth, you can find one for at least half that. But then again the dealer may not want to install if it's not thiers.

jimny said:
Hello-
Mike, we live in the same area, Suffolk Cty, and it seems your use of the kennebec might be similar to mine.

Thanks- Jim

I'd check that 1.6cu/ft number, somehow I think it is larger, however I could be wrong. I have 2 seasons' experience, and can reliably get an 8 hour burn out of this stove, no problem. She heats up 1/2 of my house (heats 1700sq/ft), and has lowered the fuel bills by about 66% (we don't use the other 1/2 of the house). I have a very...very... open floor plan, so keep that in mind. So long as you can get the air out of your den, I don't see why it wouldn't approach a fairly significant reduction in your home. I selected the Jotul based upon build quality, which I considered better than the Quads and VCs I saw, and the looks. It fits my living room decor, and heats like a machine. I've said it before here, this was the best purchase I have made for my home in the last 10 years, no doubt. Completely satisfied (non-stock owning) customer here ;-)

Any questions, just ask.

-- Mike

I'll even better that one! I have a Jotul Kennebec and don't even turn the heat on anymore! And I live in MA!!! Yep, you heard me right - I don't turn on my heat any longer! House is an expanded Cape with a 1200 sq. ft. first floor and an equivalent second floor. The Jotul is in a new 18 x 24' addition with a cathedral ceiling, which is IN ADDITION to the 1200 sq. ft. first floor mentioned above. Because my house is an open design, heat travels everywhere! It's wonderful! Your mileage may vary, however...

Status
Not open for further replies.