Jotul "old" 602 clearances vs. new 602 CB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveOak

Dec 13, 2010
central Florida
Hello,

I am a "newbie" and this is my first post. I want to say that I've been impressed and amazed at all of the valuable information and knowledge on these boards - it has been extremely helpful!
I am planning on installing an older Jotul 602 (green enamel) that originally belonged to my wife's Grandmother.
One of the main questions I had was the clearances...obviously, I have the clearance info on the new CB models online - but is that relevant to the older "non CB" units? Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you!
Keith

I have a newer 602CB and it has heat shields on the bottom and back. It allows closer clearances. I don't think the older ones have the shields. There are some real experts here that have the older version. They can give you the clearances. Or just do a search, there is a ton of info on these great little stoves.

Wish I could help here but mine came without a manual and I have replaced the back on it, so no UL plate showing clearances.

Jotul lit says UL clearances for 602B are 28" min to a rear wall, if vented from the back If vented from the top, 24" min. From a side to a wall, clearance is 32" min.

If the stove has wooden knob on the door handle it is a UL stove ( and will say 602 B on right front face of stove). The earlier non-UL stoves have black plastic on the door handles.

No matter which type you have I think clearances should be the same, because both have side burn plates inside the stove ( and no burn plate on the back. So potential stove temps would be nearly the same. Make sure your stove still has the burn plates inside on the side.

Thanks for the replies and info. I started to realize we'd really be in a catch 22 with clearances on the old 602...since we have a window too close to put in a shield.
I just broke down and got a F100 (which my wife wanted anyway), and we'll get the tax credit...
I'll probably be able to use the 602 down the road in a workshop anyway.
Thanks again for the help, and hopefully I'll be posting more stuff in the future!

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.