Jotul Oslo Front door issue...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJO21

Jan 8, 2010
Missouri
I have an Oslo that is about 7 years old. I am getting very poor burn times out of it. I am putting wood in every two hours. When I put wood in I open the dampener til it gets going maybe 3-5 minutes, once going dampener goes all the way to the left. I talked to my dealer, he said to replace the gaskets. I told him my doors were getting sloppy. He recommended putting the next size up gasket on the ash door, sealing it tight and not using the ash door....I got that done. All gaskets replaced, and I am still burning really fast. The more I pay attention to the stove I realized my front door is hanging lower on the latch side. I will say the door sags/hangs about a quarter to a half inch from the hinge to the latch side. Could the pins need replacing? do they make shim kits?

Anyone ever heard of this or anything like it?
Any recommendations?

Thank you,
Mike

I've not heard of this situation. Are you sure your hinge pins are in the whole way, I've read where sometimes a stove door hinge pin will 'creep' up with continued use.

Take some pics, pics always help tell the story. Maybe the latch mechanism is worn/faulty.

Mine has a washer only on the bottom hinge of the front door.

I would imagine that if you use the front door for frequent loading that it could possibly sag, but your situation sounds a little extreme.

I just replaced the gaskets on my stove and used 3/8" for the ash pan door. The manual lists a 1/4" gasket, but the door would not even seal with the 1/4" piece. Also, the original gasket appeared to be 3/8".

You may want to try some thin washers for the hinges and then replace the gaskets.

However, are you sure that you don't have a leak in the firebox somewhere?

Maybe one of the joints between the panels has failed.

Does the fire burn more on one side than the other?

Maybe try the ash pan door first. Check with the dollar bill test and go from there.

J.P.

How is the stove burning currently and at what temps after the air control is shut down? Is it a raging blaze or more of a controlled burn? What type of wood are you burning?

It does sound like it's time for a good stove inspection. Let it cool down and really clean it out. Then examine the interior closely with a good bright light. Look closely for cracks in the grate and the surrounding base of the the stove. Darken the room and with the light still in the stove, look for light leaks outside of it, particularly on the seams. The door problem should also be addressed. Try adding a properly sized washer or two to the bottom hinge to straighten out it's angle.

why do you use the front door when you have a side loading door. I mean it spils ashes all over when you do open it. Just wondering.

When you say you slide the air lever all the way to the left - can you hear it moving? Have you ever cleaned out this air control area (called the 'dog house')?

What stove top temps are you getting?

What kind of wood are you burning?

Status
Not open for further replies.