Jotul Oslo - How hot is HOT?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fattire

Oct 7, 2008
Colorado
Jotul says optimum burn efficiency is acheived at 400-600F measured at one of the top corners. At what temperature do you have start worrying about damage? Is 700F ok?

I have installed double wall stove pipe, so I can also measure temp at the collar, but not in the first section of pipe.

Thanks for any input.

I have the Castine, and I have my thermometer on the top of the stove. I hit 700 pretty regularly, but don't go too much above that. I hit 900 once, which seemed odd to me, so I checked everything out and found I had left the ash pan door open by mistake.

I've only had mine up to 550F. plenty hot for me. My normal running temp is 350F to 450F with good secondary burn.

Jim

jbrown56 said:
I've only had mine up to 550F. plenty hot for me. My normal running temp is 350F to 450F with good secondary burn.

Jim
I'm about the same as Jim. If it's cold I usually refill around 250F and start over. Close it down around 500F at stove corner temps. Gives great secondary burn with dry wood.
Ed

My dealer said that a short spike of 700 is ok. Secondary burn temps for deep winter months for me is 550. anything above that and its wayyy to hot to be in the room (and I have a vaulted ceiling.)
I have easily gotten it up to 625 on a fresh load with the draft all the way open (when its single digits out) but after it gets going I knock it back about 75% and she purrs at about 550.

WoodButcher

We are going up to our cabin tonight, our neighbor said it went down to 0F the last two nights, so I imagine the interior temp will be in the low to mid 40's when we arrive. It will be fun to take the Oslo up to temp and hold it there. That's what got me thinking about max temp.

In the middle of winter we sometimes arrive in the dark, on snowshoes. Last winter our lowest interior temp at arrival was 19F, and the old stove was junk, so this winter should be very interesting with the new Oslo.

Looking forward to some more SNOW!

My Jotel, 9 years old now routinely sees 700 to 800 degrees. I have vaulted ceiling's and open floor plan, about 1800 sq ft. So when the house and walls are cold it needs to run at that for 3 or more hours to bring the house temp up for 45. We have accidentally gotten it a bit hotter (900) but bring it down when we smell the stove or it sets off the alarms. No know damage so far. Just did the door gaskets for the first time.

In my house, after the house is hot, it needs to be single digits to maybe <20 outside before I need to run it continuously between 300 - 600. If it's to warm outside we do a up and down cycles, up to 350 - 500, down to a bed coals at 200 or no coals left. Try not to smolder wood at 200 it blackens the glass and everything else, but it happens, not a problem in another month you'll be letten her rip.

Tom

I run mine up to 600 degrees f. one time a day, sometimes I get it up to 625, I think last year I had it up to around 700, never been above that.

Normal is to run it up to 500 or so then throttle back, but always run it up to 600 once a day, helps keep chimney clean.

We just started using our Castine a couple of months ago. It is in our cabin. The coolest night temperature to date has been around 12*F. We have been running the stove at 450-500 There will be times this winter when the outside temp is -35*F . I am guessing that when we arrive on a cold January night we will have to let it run at 700*F for a few hours to warm the place up.

500-600 for me. I hit 800 once or twice but try to stay under 600.

Jotel tech department to me, personally (paraphrased): 'Keep it under 600. Don't panic up to 700. Bad things are happening over 700'

My understanding (from another source) is that Iron actually oxidizes (burns) when too hot, and the stove is actually "thinning from the inside out" when overfired, even if not warping. But I couldn't guarantee the accuracy.

Regards,

Dexter

I used some of my seasoned wood(oak) last night. Last year I did not get a chance to cut my own wood and got unseasoned wood which killed my burn temps. Needless to say my F600 got up to 600 and it sounded like a submarine at 500ft... There were so many clanks and clinks that did not sound good so I quickly lowered the damper lol! Thanks for contacting Jotul support for the official word.

I try to run between 400 and 550. It's the first season with the Castine, so I'm still learning a bit. Plus, I'm burning the shoulder season wood righ now.

That thing throws off some heat once you stay around 450-500 mark. So far, I'm pretty impressed.

I normally run the Oslo between 450-550 stove top temp . . . sometimes I allow it to creep up to 600 and I don't worry too much, but I like to build in a little margin of error so I try to keep things in the sweet spot (for me) of 450-550 as the stove cranks out heat, but is well within the 700 F bad things happen after this point range. I think I had it up to 700 or so once when I forgot and left the air control all the way open . . . the first and only time I made that mistake . . . fortunately it was only for a short time . . . the distinctive smell of burning paint alerted me to the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.