jotul oslo vs napoleon 1900

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark70

Dec 8, 2008
UP of Michigan
I am considering picking up one of these two stoves to replace my earthstove 1900ht.
Has anyone had both of these stoves as a comparison?
There is a large difference in price and I am wondering about other pros and cons.
I would like to heat a 2000 sq foot, 2 level home and not have to wake up every 3 hours to fill the stove at night. We are going through a LOT of wood now and we are quite cold....
Are reported burn times accurate?

Thanks for any help.

I haven't burned either, but have you checked out the stove ratings section on this site? I have heard good and bad things about both brands.

I believe the 1900 is a bigger stove, more comparable to the Jotul 600 in capacity. There is a large difference in construction as well as price. While in the 3 cu ft stove range I'd also look at the Pacific Energy Summit and if this is price sensitive, look at the Englander 30NC as well.

I can only tell you my Oslo heats my 2200 sq ft home with ease. As long as I'm on top of feeding it, the stove is a mega heater. Burn times are shorter than advertised though. If you chalk her full before bed, you'll have the coals to fire one off, but any less wood and you'll be looking to fire her up from scratch in the morning.

I have a 1900 and I love it! We heat about 2000 square feet on main floor with full basement and it heats it superbly! I life in NE Indiana in a newer well insulated cabin style home. I looked at a number of stoves and after tons of research I felt that the Napoleon was the best available for my application. It is easy to control, easy to load, has a nice view with the glass door, has a very long burn time, uses a very quiet blower, nice ash pan & clean out door, and the list goes on & on.

I gave $2,000 for the stove, delivered & installed (also removed the old Fisher stove) and had our 12 x 16 chimney lined with a 6” stainless liner for about another $2,000, but I have not regretted spending that one time so far this fall. Last night it was 10 degrees and a nice & warm 73 in the house. I used a mixture of hickory & ash for a load about 9PM and at 5AM still had part of a round and a real nice coal bed. I tossed in a few small pieces of sycamore and the fire was roaring for a hot morning burn and when my wife got up the stove temp at the flue was 800 and she was in heaven! A nice warm house and a cup of coffee in the morning sets the tone for romance later........ In other words---- I love my Napoleon 1900 for many reasons!!!!!!

It also will boil water on the top if you like!

Status
Not open for further replies.