Jotul's Insulation Blanket - Any Problems?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mich-Man

Dec 5, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Hi -

I'm thinking about buying a Jotul Castine, or Oslo, or Firelight, and notice that they each have what they call an Insulation Blanket lying on top of their Baffle Plate. Somewhere on this board someone asked about the purpose of this blanket and the answer was to help keep the fire hot. Makes sense. But, as a prospective buyer, I just gotta ask if anyone has had any trouble with these blanket things just lying there in the gas flow, certainly not nice and smooth, seems like a good item to eventually get gunked up and/or to impede flow movement. At the stores I see other stoves with no such blanket. I must be looking for trouble that's not there - right? These things working OK out there?

THere are other stoves that have said insulation blankets (Quadrafire is one that I know of off the top of my head). Their use is necessary, and they should be considered a wear item to a certain extent. The fire in that region of the stove is hot enough to prevent much buildup of creosote unless the stove isn't operated properly.

Would need to look at them again, but I think some of the Morso's also use a blanket. 2110 I had one I think...Well, it was one of the mid size ones anyway.

Didn't seem like anything that would raise any red flags at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.