Just a tad late...missed a killer score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krex1010

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2010
southeast pa
So I am looking at craigslist the other day and I see an add for 4 cords of firewood, split 4 years ago and stacked next to the driveway. I see the location and it it less than a mile from my house! I am stoked! I send a message that I am interested and will be there the next day. I slide out of work early and go to the guys house. As I am turning into his neighborhood I see a pickup with a trailer loaded to the gills with some primo looking wood, my heart sinks. I get to the house and I find that the wood is gone. Such a bummer. Looked to be closer to two cords than 4 but free is free and it was ready to go in the stove. Oh well.

krex1010 said:
So I am looking at craigslist the other day and I see an add for 4 cords of firewood, split 4 years ago and stacked next to the driveway. I see the location and it it less than a mile from my house! I am stoked! I send a message that I am interested and will be there the next day. I slide out of work early and go to the guys house. As I am turning into his neighborhood I see a pickup with a trailer loaded to the gills with some primo looking wood, my heart sinks. I get to the house and I find that the wood is gone. Such a bummer. Looked to be closer to two cords than 4 but free is free and it was ready to go in the stove. Oh well.

Rule #1 from Scrounging 101 class: ALWAYS TAKE THE WOOD ASAP!
Otherwise another equally needy scrounger will!
I learned my lesson on this one, too. I'm surrprised in your case the wood was still there the next day.

Hey guys I just wanted to let you know about this killer score I got while passing through southeast Pennsylvania . . . I just happened to be looking at the local craigslist listings and found a guy giving away a few cords of wood that was seasoned for close to four years . . . it was split and stacked right next to the driveway so of course I drove by and loaded my truck and trailer as full as I could. I cannot tell you how happy I am . . . I did however see this other guy as I was pulling away and he looked pretty dejected. ;) :)

On a serious note . . . good luck Krex . . . I have faith that you will get the next scrounge jackpot.

firefighterjake said:
Hey guys I just wanted to let you know about this killer score I got while passing through southeast Pennsylvania . . . I just happened to be looking at the local craigslist listings and found a guy giving away a few cords of wood that was seasoned for close to four years . . . it was split and stacked right next to the driveway so of course I drove by and loaded my truck and trailer as full as I could. I cannot tell you how happy I am . . . I did however see this other guy as I was pulling away and he looked pretty dejected. ;) :)

On a serious note . . . good luck Krex . . . I have faith that you will get the next scrounge jackpot.
lol

fire_man said:
Rule #1 from Scrounging 101 class: ALWAYS TAKE THE WOOD ASAP!

No doubt. Anything posted here like that is gone in 15 minutes regardless of time of day. Even if you miss it though, give them your name and number as a lot of guys don't show or someone asks them how they got rid of it, etc.

Ive seen listings go up at 10 P.M. on a tuesday and if its within 20 minutes- I go - RIGHT THAT MINUTE! I,too, have showed up at several scrounges -only to find someone else filling their truck with the last pieces of a huge score. Man, does that hurt. Its like being in Jr. high and going to the school dance- only to find out that the girl you liked just got asked out by some jacka** on the football team. You came - you saw- you left with your tail between your legs - promising yourself that NEXT time will be different! :p

I saw the posting at 10 or 11 pm and got there at 3 pm the next day. I guess free goes fast! Anyways i really shouldn't complain, I have a pretty good wood connection who dumps logs at my house, I just have to cut and split it. But some ready to go wood would have been nice, would have officially had me two years ahead. Hopefully the fellow who beat mento it needed it more than me.

I've gone to a Craigslist tree that was supposed to be down by noon & told by an annoyed owner to come back at 2. I'm there at 1:30 & 7 guys with chainsaws are blazing away at it. Sometimes early doesn't do a hellova lot of good either, Randy

Cragislist is a lot better at the end of the heating season until mid to late summer. The ads with a street address are pointless unless you are right on top of the posting and can immediately go this time of year. Even then, someone in the neighborhood is probably already on it. Unless its pine.

I've never trusted some of those "pick up at 500 Main street, don't knock on the door, don't send me an email. Need it gone ASAP." Does anybody here ever respond to those? I worry that some day a neighbor will tire of my firewood and post mine all for free online.

I've scored a couple times on those but the hit rate is pretty low and I don't bother any more. One of them turned into a relationship with a small scale tree guy that has worked out great though.

I was a bit leery about the free ad and the fact that the address was posted in the ad. Turned out it was a guy who just bought the house and was getting rid of the woodstove, he didn't want to look at the pile of firewood at the end of his driveway and just wanted it gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.