Just Bought 30Ton Splitter for $175

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k3c4forlife

Oct 30, 2009
The title says it all... Just bought a 30 Ton Splitter for $175... Man this thing makes me feel manly.

What's your best deal?

did you have the seller at gun point - that's a STEAL

i have a few

honda snow blower $25.00

brand new Husky 272xp $300.00

quadra fire insert $250.00 (free but i had to pay to have it "professionally removed"

50 inch plasma $600.00

and my new boots - Doc Martin steel toe for 30.00

best buy stihl 460 900.00 bucks

Stevebass4 said:
did you have the seller at gun point - that's a STEAL

i have a few

honda snow blower $25.00

brand new Husky 272xp $300.00

quadra fire insert $250.00 (free but i had to pay to have it "professionally removed"

50 inch plasma $600.00

and my new boots - Doc Martin steel toe for 30.00

Yes, I had him at gun point, but he didnt call the cops. My Echo CS-3450 chainsaw was $40 at a garage sale... Had to clean the whole thing. The carb was a mess but it was well worth the hour cleaning.

Anyone else have anything else?

my 028 for $ 75 bought over the phone sight unseen - my brother was at a garage sale and called me about it. Let's hear the rest of the story on this splitter.

Lets see some Pic's

Great deal, how about some pics to make us jellous.

Some good deals for me.

Regency stove and hearth pad $225 :)

Husky 350 $50 ( had a toasted motor)

Attachments

• Picture 167.jpg
    Picture 167.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 511
  • husky350_2.jpg
    husky350_2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 536
Didnt take any pictures, its at my parents house right now to get powerwashed and repainted.

I followed up a posting on craigslist last night 2 hours after it was posted:

Log Splitter (Andover)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-11-06, 4:42PM EST
Reply to: see below

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Briggs and Stratton Log Splitter. Older...but runs good. Needs some work! Best offer. E-mail [email protected] to inquire!

Thought it was really odd he listed it as Briggs and Stratton, homemade? Went and looked at it this morning... The thing is beeeautiful. Need to be cleaned up, its a 30 Ton really well built home made splitter. Briggs and Stratton 6hp, ridiculous cylinder, brand new air and hydraulic filter, hydraulic fluid, and trailer tires. We couldnt get it running at the pickup but took a chance. The guy had messed with the carb and the engine wasnt getting an Air flow (I should have seen it when I was looking at it, but i missed it)... Long story shorter, took it home, its a beast... Makes me feel manly

Ha, pictures to follow next week.

Don't email him lol, turns out he knows my wife... I dont want to make any hard feelings.

BUT... How much is it gonna cost ya to get it runnin !?

Great deal, dang ya!

It costed me an hour of cleaning and $3 spring fon the throttle... It wasnt getting air.

Sure it isn't hot? Just a thought.... :cheese:

k3c4forlife said:
It costed me an hour of cleaning and $3 spring fon the throttle... It wasnt getting air.

YOU miserable #&@*@$~ SOB!!!!

Even at $200/hr, you made out golden!

Happy splittin' and good luck to ya.

PJ

P.S. I could only be so lucky to fall into a deal like that.

B said:

Hopefully, just the muffler! ;-)

Ya... sorry... Had to post my success story. The guy had no idea what he had. I was like eh, since we cant get it running right now, I'll offer you $150 for it and I'll take it right now, cash. He responded with, Ill take $175 and throw in the ball, all the hydraulic fluid and a can of grease. I almost crapped my pants.

Anyone else have any stories like this???

k3c4forlife said:

I sold my house on one acre for $80,000.
Bought this old stone beauty on five acres for $85,000 and
got the other 103 acres for $1.

Oh ya, forgot to mention the electric starter... its a beauty. I really should have taken some before pictures. Ill load some pictures up once I get it more cleaned up.

I'm 23, just bought my first house in Northeast New Jersey. $228,000 (ouch) ranch on a little over 1/4 of an acre. All electric heat (ouch x2) with a Waterford 104 woodstove and a fireplace. Looking to possible do the radiator conversion in the basement.

PJF1313 said:
B said:

Hopefully, just the muffler! ;-)

OK, I guess I know when I have been beat. That is a tremendous value and you should be counting your blessings. I too just picked up a new 27 ton splitter, but it cost me $1100 with my veteran discount at Lowes. None the less, I am still happy to own one, just would have been sweeter at $175.00. Happy splitting, I know I am enjoying my time with the splitter. 6 cord seasoned for this years burn, another 2 cord split / stacked under tarp with 6 more cord in rounds to be split and stacked for next year. :)

I may be able to do one better though; a buddy of mine bought me a Stihl MS 270 Wood Boss saw this past Tuesday. Great piece of equipment, however, it still cost me a buck and a quarter for accessories. :)

Picked up a used homemade splitter this spring for $200. Starts on the first pull and has split everything I've thrown at it. It has had some trouble with some larger crotch pieces with odd twisting grain patterns, but other than that it's been good. Do most splitters have trouble with twisted crotch type pieces?

kenny chaos said:
k3c4forlife said:

I sold my house on one acre for $80,000.
Bought this old stone beauty on five acres for $85,000 and
got the other 103 acres for $1.

lol nice whats that break down per acre may be a better deal than Alaska

kenny chaos said:
...got the other 103 acres for $1.
Here when you buy/sell a house, the price paid is on public record so sometimes it gets recorded as $2 plus other valuable assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.