Just bought a Huskee 22 ton splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic36

Feeling the Heat
Jan 23, 2008
Decatur, Alabama
I have been contemplating buying a splitter for quite a while. My main motivation lately has been due to the very old (and large) oak tree that fell in my yard earlier this year. My parents are also getting up in age and they burn wood for heat as well. They live a couple of hours away, but I figured I could transport the splitter on my trailer to them and split their wood or leave it there for them to use.

Everyone on the forum, for the most part, has spoken well of the Huskee 22 ton, so I have had my eye on that model. I saw in the Tractor Supply sale paper last week that the price had been reduced from $1099.99 to $999.99. I procrastinated and decided to hold off. Well, after using up five tanks of gas in my chainsaw yesterday on the downed oak tree without putting much of a dent in it, I figured the splitter may be a good decision. However, I knew the sale ended on the splitter last week, but I also knew their web site still lists it as $999.99 So, I called the Tractor Supply store to see if they were open on Sunday and also check if they still had the splitters. The lady said they did and I stupidly asked her what the price was. After putting me on hold, she told me $1099.99. She seemed a little grumpy from the beginning, and I should have stopped there. But, I told her the web site lists it for $999.99 and asked if they would they honor that. She said she did not run the web site. (I could see where this was going) I then replied that the price says $999.99 and it's representative of the store prices, plus I cannot order it from the web site, it just lists the price. She finally said if I really wanted one they would. I don't know why things have to be so difficult.

The phone call made me a little mad and I convinced myself again that I did not need it. But I remembered mentioning buying one to my dad on the phone and he seemed very interested. So, I printed out the splitter description/price on the web site and drove over to the store. I was prepared to argue over the 999 price, but when I walked in the door, they had left a $999.99 price sign still on one of the display splitters by mistake. So, I knew I had them. When I went to pay for it, they realized their mistake, but the clerk said that was the price I was getting since the sign was up. I don't think she was the person I talked to on the phone and I never said I had called about it.

Anyway, once I got it home, I put some gas in it, pushed the priming bulb a few times and the Briggs and Stratton engine started on the second pull. I was expecting this to be a noisy machine, but I was amazed at how quiet it ran. I was prepared to use some ear plugs on the test run, but realized they would not be necessary for the short duration. I know several people on the forum do not speak highly of Briggs and Stratton, but I have never had never had problems with them and this engine really ran great. My first impression of the splitter is all positive. I have several pieces of what turned out to be elm I picked up by the road a few months back, and that's what I tried first on the splitter. They were so tough, I could not even dent them with a wedge last month. The only thing the splitter did was pause for a second and then the splitter would power the wedge right on through. Overall, I'm quite happy with the purchase, and only time will tell how well the splitter holds up, but it seems well made. I don't think I will be able to do much damage to it. I throttled the engine up and down, let it idle, turned it off, and cranked it a few times.... no issues. For the price, I think it was a good buy. I have seen splitters on Craigslist and it seems everyone wants at least 900 dollars for a used one. Some guy even had a year old Huskee 22 ton listed for $1200.00. Plus, the warranty seems pretty good as well-3 year on workmanship, 2 year on engine, and 1 year on hydraulics. Plus it came with oil and fluid already in it.

All the wood I will be splitting for my stove will probably never be over 15 inches long. I don't know how well it would perform on a 24 inch piece of elm. It would not surprise me if it stalled out on something like that. But, for anyone looking for a splitter in this price range, I think it's a good deal. If you consistently have to split longer tougher type wood like elm all the time, then the 22 ton might not cut it.

I was even able to use my $5.00 coupon from their website.

I too have been put off purchasing a wood splitter. I am the type of person who does a lot of researches before making a purchase. After all it only took me nine month of heavy research to find and purchase a WoodStock Soapstone stove.

After see how crippled up my dad is from, I believe, hand splitting 7 or more cords of wood each year for the past 30 some years plus, I want a good power splitter. Yes, I would love to have a Timber wolf splitter . I like the one with the hydraulic left that can pick up a 500 lbs of wood, with a 9 to 11 hp Honda motor, "no girlie man splitter", but it cost around $7,200.00. Really I can only put out around $2,000 and that is pushing it. After all I only split about 5 cords a year for myself and a maybe a couple of cords for the neighbor. I just don't want some piece of junk that is going to fall apart in my hands after a couple of years. I guest if everyone could buy the best there wouldn't be any Harbor Freight stores around; which I have bought some tools from.

The best wood splitters I have ever found so far below web sites. Timber Wolf Wood Splitters.

http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/log_splitters/default.asp?id=10

http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/log_splitters/

My biggest problem here in Oregon, the once timber capital of the world, Mill City, Oregon were I went to High School, is finding wood to cut. In 1972 you use to back up to a half a block long log pale that the timber companies call waste wood or slash and have easy cutting without any cutting permit. Now it has gotten so tough to get wood the Forest Service isn't hardly selling any permits to cut wood and the few timber companies that haven't gone bankrupt are even taking stubs out of the forest, grinding them up to generate electricity. If you don't own land with timber you have to look far and wide.

I haven't giving up let! Still look for more wood for next year and that power wood splitter.

Chuck in Oregon

Those splitters look really nice. If I burned a lot of wood, I might have considered something bigger and better.

You sound like me. I will typically read and research all I can before I commit to spending a bunch of cash on something. I did the same thing with my stove. Woodstock was high on my list, but I finally came to the conclusion a soapstone stove wasn't what I really needed.

Right now, I have more wood than I know what to do with. It is quite plentiful around here and my house is small. Very few use it to heat with here, and finding it on the curb or from fallen trees that no one wants is not a problem. I pass up on anything I see now, just because I have so much of it already with no room. I feel guilty about it, but I don't need it.

Good luck with your search.

Love my Huskee and you will probably get a $10 thank you card for shopping TS. Be safe.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.