just bought a used harman accentra fs $300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corkman

Minister of Fire
Dec 3, 2009
SE,Mass
its a 2004.contractor who was working on a foreclosed home took it for himself and decided not to install in his own home.it needs a major cleaning.glass is black and its full of ash.planning to strip it down tomorrow.where do i even begin.how do i take this thing apart.can i remove any of the cast iron to make this thing lighter to move.how about the blowers,are they easy to get at and remove.
i did plug it in and it does have power to the board.only thing i could see that was running was the convection blower but i didnt even know what settings it should be on for start up so hopefully you all can set me in the right direction here.on my other stove,the combustion blower comes on as soon as i start the stove but that doesnt seem to be the case here.i took a bunch of pics and will try to upload those in the next couple days.
hoping this is a diamond in the rough.
is the control board supposed to swing out from the stove.this one appears to be recessed back into the stove instead of being mounted on the swivel door .i wold realy appreciate pics of other peoples stoves and cleaning tips to get me going in the right direction.
where do i find those harman videos ive heard people talk about

corkman said:
its a 2004.contractor who was working on a foreclosed home took it for himself and decided not to install in his own home.it needs a major cleaning.glass is black and its full of ash.planning to strip it down tomorrow.where do i even begin.how do i take this thing apart.can i remove any of the cast iron to make this thing lighter to move.how about the blowers,are they easy to get at and remove.
i did plug it in and it does have power to the board.only thing i could see that was running was the convection blower but i didnt even know what settings it should be on for start up so hopefully you all can set me in the right direction here.on my other stove,the combustion blower comes on as soon as i start the stove but that doesnt seem to be the case here.i took a bunch of pics and will try to upload those in the next couple days.
is the control board supposed to swing out from the stove.this one appears to be recessed back into the stove instead of being mounted on the swivel door .i wold realy appreciate pics of other peoples stoves and cleaning tips to get me going in the right direction.

Go to YouTube and search Harman Stove cleaning.

corkman said:

Hey Corkman, welcome to the Harman family!

You can download a .pdf of the owners manual off of Harmans site we which has the install instructions as well as the meanings of the status light blink sequences. It's a shame it was left dirty, hopefully the ash hasn't etched the glass, and hasn't rusted up the inside too bad from the salt content in the pellets. As for disassembly its very easy.

manual: http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/Accentra.pdf

First thing you want to do it remove the cast iron flame deflector that rests atop the burn pot and get that outta the way.

Second, the cast iron heat exchanger covers on the right and left of the burn pot can be removed. Kneel down and look up at the top of those covers, you will see a cam in the upper right of the right side cover and upper left of the left side one, hold the cover with one hand and flip those cams inward towards the burn pot, then the covers will pivot forward, you can then pull up on each one and the tangs will disengage from the combustion blower housing.

The combustion blower housing has 2 of these cams as well, unhook them (with stove not running!!!) and pull the housing straight forward slowly! (it is imperative that you pull it straight forward or you risk hitting the blower fan and knocking the fins out of balance).

Getting the housing out of the stove is a bit tricky, you'll have to play around with it until you find the sweet spot.

Download the manual off of the Harman site, it explains everything you need to know about maintenance and operations. My feed rate is set at 4 right now, of course everyone has their own opinions about where the feed rate should be.

Any other questions, feel free to ask!

cleaned stove today from top to bottom.man this thing was filthy as you can see from the pics.
did the inside of the fire box first.i removed everything to get to the heat exchanger and the combustion blower.brushed and vac everything .gave the burnpot a good scraping and loosened the 2 wing nuts to clead around the igniter.quiet a bit of ash in there so i doubt that area had ever been cleaned.
glass was absolutely filthy but its clean as a whistle now.oiled hinges on the door and that was the inside finished.

hopper lid was loose and not locking correctly so made some adjustments on that and its good to go now.

removed the back cover and man what a mess.this area of the stove was a disaster.dust and hair up the wazzu.
i removed the convection blower and hit it with some compressed air.made a huge difference.reinstalled and runs good now.
removed the exhaust probe and cleaned that aswell as the exhaust port on the stove.
combustin blower was definately the worst.absolutely caked up with furballs and dustbunnies.couldnt quit figure out how to get the blower disconnected from the stove but iwas able to clean it real good and blasted it with some compressed air.
next i hooked up the leaf blower to the back of the stove and let her rip.the stove is now clean as a whistle.
auger motor was good.i blasted that with compressed air and seem to be running as it should.
also removed the fined from the box by the auger motor.this was FULL of fines.
im gonna post the pics and follow with a few questions

Attachments

• DSCN2666.jpg
    DSCN2666.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 959
  • DSCN2668.jpg
    DSCN2668.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 944
  • DSCN2669.jpg
    DSCN2669.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 963
  • DSCN2670.jpg
    DSCN2670.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 936
  • DSCN2673.jpg
    DSCN2673.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 964
  • DSCN2687.jpg
    DSCN2687.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,032
  • DSCN2688.jpg
    DSCN2688.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 942
  • DSCN2689.jpg
    DSCN2689.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 942
Nice job!
I see you also managed to get a few hoops in during the process (3rd from last photo)

Not to rain on the great bargain parade but if 'the contractor took it', isn't that receiving stolen goods??????

That thing was a mess and probably didn't work anyway.

I'm jealous! Looks like the mess I had with the EF2. Good job and get that burning pic up.

and this is how it looks after i was done.
and now for a few questions
when i flipped the control panel away from the stove i noticed a black swithch .it says hi/lo.what is this switch for.mine is in the high position.
is there anything to be oiled on the auger system,convection blower or combustion blower.can i actually take the comb blower right uot.it doesnt seem very accessible.
i plan on re-painting the outside of the stove whick is all cast iron.it has some minor rust.what do you guys recommend for the prep on the cast iron and what paint do i use.
should i spray pam or wd-40 on the inside of the stove.it does have some minor rust but that looks even better now after the burn i had going.
hope you enjoy the pics and look forward to your feedback

Attachments

• DSCN2690.jpg
    DSCN2690.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 858
  • DSCN2691.jpg
    DSCN2691.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 877
  • DSCN2693.jpg
    DSCN2693.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 887
  • DSCN2694.jpg
    DSCN2694.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 891
  • DSCN2695.jpg
    DSCN2695.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 897
  • DSCN2696.jpg
    DSCN2696.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 881
  • DSCN2699.jpg
    DSCN2699.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 872
Very Nice....

Looking forward to some burning pics. Some motors have oil ports on them. But some dont.

Even the motors I have, that dont have ports get some oil put on or in ths bearing. Some gets inside. How much?? Dont know. But it cant hurt.

Use the 3-n-1 oil (Blue can) or a SAE 20 weight oil. The auger bearing or bushing could use a drop if visible. IMO

A Harman owner will know for sure. I still would. As it cant hurt. My Pennies ;-P

Congratulations. Nice stove. Nice deal....

tjnamtiw said:
Not to rain on the great bargain parade but if 'the contractor took it', isn't that receiving stolen goods??????

That thing was a mess and probably didn't work anyway.

No as long as the house had other alternative heat im sure the bank didnt notice or care. Now was he contracted to clean out the house or what?

its his job to go in and prep house for resale.he said bank told him dump the stove.would you put a harman in the dumpster or on the back of you truck.anyhoooo,i have no control over that.im responding to an ad on craigslist for a harman stove for $1400 and i could tell by the pics it was neglected.the guy had absolutely no idea abuot thes stoves and to cut a long story shortwe haggled over the price and we agreed on $300.as i see it thats a win win situation

oops.this was meant to be in the 2nd batch of pics.here she is burning

Attachments

• DSCN2701.jpg
    DSCN2701.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 837
install wont happen for a while.i wanna get it painted 1rst.any suggestions on paint.
hey Dex,were you the one who repainted a quad

corkman said:
install wont happen for a while.i wanna get it painted 1rst.any suggestions on paint.
hey Dex,were you the one who repainted a quad

I painted the inside of my Firebox last Spring.

Don2222 painted a used Quad recently. I believe he used Stove Bright on the outside. If you do a search for Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 FS. You will get the last 10 threads he started on it. The painting one is in there.

My recommendation would be Stove Bright also. I used a High temp BBQ Rustoleum paint on my Englander and its way to Dull and Powdery looking. I would shoot for Stove Bright. Its commonly used by many here. Good product and most Hearth Shops should carry a variety of colors. If you wanted to get crazy on it. The Accentra comes in Enameled colors. Im sure it would look good in Brown or Burgundy. :lol: Just a thought.

You can buy the exact paint that Harman uses for the stove. I believe Harman sells it in a can. It is a little expensive, but it is the exact match. Any store that sells Harman should carry the paint. Good score by the way.

corkman said:
its his job to go in and prep house for resale.he said bank told him dump the stove.would you put a harman in the dumpster or on the back of you truck.anyhoooo,i have no control over that.im responding to an ad on craigslist for a harman stove for $1400 and i could tell by the pics it was neglected.the guy had absolutely no idea abuot thes stoves and to cut a long story shortwe haggled over the price and we agreed on $300.as i see it thats a win win situation

Then that was a helluva good deal!!!! Never happen to me though. I just HEAR about them after the fact. :(

Here is some pics of motors. One has lube ports (grey motor with black oil plugs) and the other (black no oil ports).

The grey one, I oil as it says and also add a drop or two to the back bearing (visible, same as black motor).

The black one, I put oil on the highly visible bearing on the back, then I also hold the motor on an angle and try and "drip" some onto the front bearing. .

Some motors look completely different than the ones I posted, but still have bearings somewhere. Just have to look a little. A drop or two wont hurt a thing. Again, some people can get 12 yrs on one motor and never lubricate it themselves. But I dont seem to have that good of luck, so I manually intervene.

Last pic is of the 3-n-1 oil. Not the Black and Red bottle. Blue and White.

Attachments

• motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 749
  • motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 742
  • motor3.jpg
    motor3.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 759
Nice job. I guess you're confident in your rebuild. First burn in the bed of the pickup truck :)

I like the pic of the stove burning in the back of your truck. We could start a whole new thread on "How I powered my Chevy Truck with a pellet stove" :)

Use stove bright, same paint the mfg use, they just private label. Don't use cheap rust o leum it will not dry all the same shade when you fire the stove.

Careful what kind of paint you use. Previous owner of my stove painted it gloss black before selling it. A month later it still stinks when using it.

hi jmcp.i on the north side of the city.good old knocknaheeney.wow never thought i'dsee another paddy on here never mind a corkonian.good to see.
thank you all for the replies.got the paint 2day but not sure when i will get to paint it.still waiting for my buddies to show up so i can get that 400lb beast out of the truck.plan is to let it sit in the shed for now till i have time and a warm day to get it painted.my basement is fully finished so i cant do any spraying down there.this will be a long term project.i got a good jump on it yesterday because i had the day off .
is the auger assembly easy to get off.i want to ckeck for that gummy stove syndrome that i have heard people talk about.i was told i need to take the assembly out and look inside for black sticky stuff. if its in there then i need that crossover tube,is that easy to do or should i have dealer do it.i love a good challenge and would try it myself if anyone has any info on how to do this.gonna do a search on it now and hopefilly there are some pics in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.