Just bought my wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhone

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2005
Wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be. Ordered 5 cords of 20" log splits at $185 / cord ($925 total). Only up $15/cord from last year.

Kiplinger predicts oil this winter to be $3.25/gallon and reach $3.50/gallon peak. Kiplinger is usually right. If that be true, I should spend about $1100 for heating with wood vs. around $2700 for oil.

I bought 1 cord from a neighbor, 16" splits, for $160. Wood, like most everything else, is cheaper here in NW Pa. Of couse, local wages are about the same as Mexico, too. I cut 2 cords from my own woods so I'm hoping to save a bunch, since our gas bills averaged $300 per month for Nov. thru March, and we were sitting in a 66 degree house on top of it all. Goal here is to be inexpensively warmer next winter.

Right know it's around $150 per full dry cord, split, and delivered around here (NW WIS). Give or take $5 or $10. You can find better deals for green or unsplit. I expect it will go up some this fall when demand goes up.

Glad you made this post. I've been lazy. I have enough for next winter and some of the winter after that. But with the price of Nat Gas and electricity, drying wood is money in the bank. I need to get my but in gear and get another cord or two in the "wood Bank".

I've been seriously scrounging hard these last few monthes and will continue to do so all summer in hopes of getting enough wood without spending any money. As these prices keep climbing burning 1.5 tons of coal per winter is starting to look better and better........

Status
Not open for further replies.