Just getting started-Wood boiler in garage that is 75 feet from house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonymo63

Mar 30, 2011
Central Ct
I have the oppourtunity to purchase a home built unit( has been in place and working well) made with 1/2" and 1/4 steel that I can install in my garage that is 75 feet from my house. Anyone know of zoning issues in New England/ Connecticut with these Units? Wouldn't it be similar to me installing a wood stove out in the Garage? I know not that simple in terms of the install just the smoke comming out of the top of the garage. Thanks, Jon

Local zoning? Call town office. Also check with insurance company. Some have a problem with wood boilers or stoves in garage. May need to build a separate room, with outside access. I got lucky, they allowed me to re-classify my garage as a wood storage facility. Good luck.

Spoke with the town and was told Wood boiler in a barn ok (not garage OK) will have to meet some type of fire regs and codes for installation are what the manufacturers are. Anyone have a reccomendation as far as which interior wood boiler would be best? This unit per code would have to be a back up unit to oil, Thanks Jon

I've been happy with my Innova. But there are many other great boilers out there. Others will chime in. A lot of us are partial to wood gassification boilers. Highly efficient, and no smoke issues to worry about. a little more money than say a New Yorker, but you'll burn less wood.

With wood boilers in garages, there is a concern of gas getting spilled and fumes running low on floor, and causing an explosion. A separate out building makes 'em happy. Just don't store chain saws or any gas powered equipment in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.