Just got blower for NC-13 .. and ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
.... and I wanna do a mod to take advantage of it.

I have read (in the NEPA forum) in about people removing the firebrick at the back of their coal stove so that more heat is dissipated thru the back metal. To avoid warping there has to be a blower running. I have done this with my Hitzer coal stove and it really makes a big difference for convection - and there is no warping because the blower is doing a great job of taking the heat off the back metal - you can really feel it coming out the front top air slot.

Has anyone here made a similar mod on an Englander?

You want to flame me for the blasphemy of suggesting modifying the great design of a sacred forum stove

Removing the firebrick would void the CTC distances. If the power goes out, you loose the fast cooling.

why not check with the customer service line at englander stoves? might void the warranty, but you'd have your answer.

Smoke, you can only make a wheel so round.

pen

stoveguy2esw said:
i REALLY would prefer you didnt do that please

This really ought to be the final word on the notion. From the horse's mouth, so to speak.

pen said:
Smoke, you can only make a wheel so round.

pen
HaHa!

I like that!

Besides all of the scary reasons not to do it, it would cool the firebox too much and the burn would suck. As well as the fact that with it too cool the back row of splits would not burn worth chit.

BrotherBart said:
Besides all of the scary reasons not to do it, it would cool the firebox too much and the burn would suck. As well as the fact that with it too cool the back row of splits would not burn worth chit.

Spoken w/out even a hint of sarcasm ... . BB I expected a stinging rebuke in defense of your favorite stoves :=)

I accept the consensus and can assure everyone I'll pass on this one.

Thanks for the update and I like your decision.

Closing this down since there's no more need for us to convince you of anything :p

Have a good one smoke.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.