Just got me a Fiskars Super splitter...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WES999

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2008
Mass north of Boston
My Fiskars SS was waiting for me at the door when I got home form work today. :)
I was wondering if this thing is really as good as people say it is. Of course I had to try it out right away.
The first round I tried it on was a 12" pine round kind of knotty and wet. I had actually tried to split it with my K-mart mall that I have been using for years, and gave up, the wood was pretty wet and the mall kept getting stuck so I put it aside.

The SS was able to split the pine when the mall wouldn't. It is much more resistant to getting stuck if the wood doesn't split.

I was a little worried about the short handle, but it was not a problem at all. I put the rounds up on my chopping block and it was fine.

I spent about 15 minuets and split several pine and maple rounds. Another satisfied customer.

Attachments

• Picture 219.jpg
    Picture 219.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 565
is that the one with the 4 lb head ?

From the package" coated,forged, 4 1/4# steel blade"

I used mine for the first time yesterday. Split about fifteen 16-18 inch long hickory rounds, about 14 inch diameter. I cut the standing dead tree down last week. Overall, I was pretty impressed with the Fiskars SS. The wood was very hard and the SS bounced off it a few times. Once I got the round split into two pieces the SS went right through the smaller ones. I was cautious with the shorter handle but had no problem whether I was splitting on the ground or had a round on top of another round.

I'd say its a keeper.

Welcome to the cult, er, I mean the club! Once you have attained Fiskar's enlightenment, you shall receive inner peace and all your wood will burn hot and long!

NP

Yeah, I bought a pair of the Fiskars scissors and use them for taking down the smaller trees!

Terrible tool! The handle is too short!! A 30 year old family heirloom maul is way better!!!!

Wait! I just remembered that the only people who don't like the Fiskars are the people who DON'T have one.

I have had mine about a year now and swear by it. Welcome to the club.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
What's the tire for?
a car or vehicle or something, I imagine....

lol. J/K there are a few people here who put a round into the tire (or sometimes more than one round) and when you split it, the splits don't go flying, allowing you to take another whack to make the splits smaller without having to reposition everything....

Flatbedford said:
Terrible tool! The handle is too short!! A 30 year old family heirloom maul is way better!!!!

Wait! I just remembered that the only people who don't like the Fiskars are the people who DON'T have one.

I have one of those 30 year old family heirloom mauls. But I can't say if I like Fiskars better or not, because I don't own one. ;-)

Flatbedford said:
Where's the logic in that? Why would I buy something I don't like?

I wouldn't buy a Ford either.

Flatbedford said:

I like mine better then the splitting axe I got from Lowe's but I like the helko Vario 2300G heavy splitting axe much better....

"Gabba gabba we accept you, we accept you, one of us"

southbound said:
Flatbedford said:

I like mine better then the splitting axe I got from Lowe's but I like the helko Vario 2300G heavy splitting axe much better....
That is one nice looking unit, I might have got one of those if I would have known about them, a little pricey but you get what you pay for. http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11718

Status
Not open for further replies.