Just joined the Fiskars Cult.... Super Splitter arrived.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
This is a serious weapon. Split about 10 rounds tonight. Scary how easy it goes through medium size rounds. Had some trouble going through 14" wide knotty rounds. (8 lb maul has trouble with these as well.) Having a tough time adjusting to the short handle. Working on positioning my feet wider. I have an un-natural fear of chopping my feet off.

Overall, I'm very impressed. I'm sure I'll get a splitting rhythm down soon.
It's quite a pleasant change from the 8 lb all metal maul I used previously.

Bend your knees at the end of the swing just as you hit the round. That should make up for the shorter handle. After a few hours you probably won't even notice it is short any more. The rare times I pick up my old Craftsman 6 pounder, it feels way to long to me now.

If it came down to keeping one I'd keep my maul. I have the short handle fiskars though so a longer handle might sway me back on fiskars. Only thing I've used it for is breaking the strings on oak after it's been split by the maul lol

Just got a new pro chopping axe today, haven't used it yet. It didn't come with instructions. :)

precaud said:
Just got a new pro chopping axe today, haven't used it yet. It didn't come with instructions. :)
precaud, you don't need instructions to use Fiskars because Fiskars uses you......lol. now, where's that instructional "photograph" that I made up to show how to use a fiskars.......

found it.

Attachments

• fiskars splitting.jpg
    fiskars splitting.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 397
precaud said:
It didn't come with instructions. :)
Quads made a good instructional video.

IMG_4374.jpg

precaud said:
LLigetfa said:
Quads made a good instructional video.

He's either praying/begging, or caught in some pagan ritual...
He's protecting his shins and beating an un-natural fear of chopping his feet off.

LLigetfa said:
He's protecting his shins and beating an un-natural fear of chopping his feet off.

Well no wonder, he's splitting with one of their hatchets! And choking up on it too...

precaud said:
LLigetfa said:

Well no wonder, he's splitting with one of their hatchets! And choking up on it too...
:)

I didn't see any Duct Tape in the diagram? Did I miss it?

zzr7ky said:
I didn't see any Duct Tape in the diagram? Did I miss it?
you bring up a good point, but where I'm from you always have the option (with redneck ingenuity) to use EITHER bailing twine OR duct tape. In this particular instance I used Bailing twine, there should be a footnote added that Duct tape will also work.

twine came first, then baling wire, for redneck farm repairs.
duct tape is a later high tech invention, for the more affluent people who could buy it new. the twine and wire were way ahead of the time of 'recycling' though....

red green for king.

k

Status
Not open for further replies.