Just Playin’ In The Woods With My Maul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
IMG_7303%20(800x600).jpg

IMG_7305%20(800x600).jpg

IMG_7314%20(800x600).jpg

IMG_7324%20(800x600).jpg

A ring around the Sun this morning.
IMG_7316%20(800x600).jpg

No Morels yet, but saw this thing (those aren't my bite marks). It's beginning to look like last year; I didn't find a single Morel.
IMG_7321%20(800x600).jpg

Quads,

Neat photo of the sun!

I think I've missed out on something - never had a Morel mushroom. Hmm...

Shari

Shari said:
Quads,

Neat photo of the sun!

Shari
It had an even better ring around it the other day. I took pictures of it then too, but don't think I posted any.

If you like mushrooms, you'll love Morels. They are the ultimate. Last year I didn't find any. So far gettin' skunked this year too.

Too bad about the Morels. We use to hunt them when I was a kid on property we had in northern Michigan off route 32. Use to get them by the bushel. Took my son up a few years ago, only found about 20. My folks had a saying about how great they were, "don't eat them with steak, you'll ruin the taste of the mushroom." Man I miss those days.

Nice kooking wood set up you've got going on there, cool.

andybaker said:
Too bad about the Morels. We use to hunt them when I was a kid on property we had in northern Michigan off route 32. Use to get them by the bushel. Took my son up a few years ago, only found about 20. My folks had a saying about how great they were, "don't eat them with steak, you'll ruin the taste of the mushroom." Man I miss those days.

Nice kooking wood set up you've got going on there, cool.
Thanks!

I just don't understand what's happening to our Morels. Last year none, and so far none this year. The ones here never were very big (no bigger than an ice-cream cone) but we always found some. First time I can ever remember not finding any.

No idea, I live in Ohio and have never found one here. I've searched every possible place I can think of and still the only thing I get are a bunch of ticks.

the way the pics tell the story its the 4-wheeler chopping the wood in my mind, very cool trick teaching your machines to do the work.
I thinks in some locals the ring around the sun is called a "sun dog", but I dunno why.
cool pics

Quads great pictures again, what length do you cut your wood?

zap

I've never had any luck finding morels, but people are finding them in south central Wisconsin. They're available in the local farmer's market
and on craigslist. Going rate this year is $15-$25/pound. I usually buy half a pound and saute them up in a stick of butter.

zapny said:
Quads great pictures again, what length do you cut your wood?

zap
Ha ha, well, I'll tell you that I try to cut it all 16 inches. But sometimes they come out more like 20! Seems like the smaller the diameter it is the longer I cut it, for some reason. The length of every piece I cut is unique!

Shari said:

Shari

There already done here Shari. South end of Wisconsin is pretty much done too. The middle and north should be hitting right now, but it won't last long. Because of weather, the season was only 8 days long here with very low production. I will bet that you guys are in the same boat. Its worth the hunt . I love 'em, but didn't get squat this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.