Just put money down on a heatilator ps50 and was hoping for some advice please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klinker1

Jun 20, 2011
central pa
Hi,

I've been reading these forums for a little while now and finally decided to register and hopefully get some advice.

1) The dealer I bought from only sells energex and omalley. Does anyone have specific experience with either of these pellets with the ps50? Just from reading these forums it seems like energex is about average and omally is below average. Are their any other pellets that you have found to be particularly good or bad in this stove?

2) Are their any advantages or disadvantages to haveing all of the piping inside or outside of the home besides aesthetics? I'm having it professionally installed.

3) I'll be storing the pellets in a non-insulated garage. Do I need to be concerned about pellets going bad if I'm storing them years in advance?

4) Should I get a carbon monoxide detector?

5) Is their any reason to get a battery back up if I have a generator that can handle the load that the stove would require?

I don't have internet at home so I may not get back right away to any comments or questions.

Thanks for any help! -d

1) The dealer I bought from only sells energex and omalley. Does anyone have specific experience with either of these pellets with the ps50? Just from reading these forums it seems like energex is about average and omally is below average. Are their any other pellets that you have found to be particularly good or bad in this stove?

A: You assessment is correct

2) Are their any advantages or disadvantages to haveing all of the piping inside or outside of the home besides aesthetics? I’m having it professionally installed.

A: Better air flow if the vertical is inside during the coldest months of the year, unless the pipe outside is insulated. Pellet units typically have little to no problem with either way though.

3) I’ll be storing the pellets in a non-insulated garage. Do I need to be concerned about pellets going bad if I’m storing them years in advance?

A: No, so long as they do not get wet.

4) Should I get a carbon monoxide detector?

A: Yes, but you should have one in your home already

5) Is their any reason to get a battery back up if I have a generator that can handle the load that the stove would require?

A: Your generator must put out a pure sine wave not to damage your motors, typically whole house generators are such.

I don’t have internet at home so I may not get back right away to any comments or questions.

GREAT, THANKS!

The dealer said something about keeping the pipe inside....he said something about heat and dirt but I didn't really catch what he was saying. Maybe something about ambient heat coming off the pipe and the pipe staying cleaner? I don't know, but I figured keeping it out of the elements would give it a longer life. Good to know about the air flow.

Did not know that about the generator either (i'm looking to buy a portable generator that would be less than 10,000W). I'll make sure I get the surge protector with the battery then.

Anyone else have any experience with this stove or advice concerning it?

I just heard that there was another one that heatilator was coming out with and now i'm wondering if I pulled the trigger at the wrong time. :-S -d

Welcome to the Forum. This is a fantastic site.

I seen one running at Kinsman Stoves (Forum Member Here), I forgot how many bags he had ran through it, (Like 50/ + or -) without cleaning. But it was ridiculous. You got a great stove. Its all the Quadrafire parts inside a stove for half the price.

Your pellets will be fine stored indoors for years. As long as they are under cover. Never buy pellets stored outside. I currently have 9 ton in my basement. Some say run a dehumidifier, but the Milling process of pellets produces lignin, that seals the outside of the pellet. Can they still absorb moisture? Absolutly. Pour water on a bag and tell me what happens. They will not however pull moisture from the air.

As smwilliamson said, you should have a detector already. CO Kills. No Joke.

The generator, if its a TSC or Home Depot unit. Then NO. It will ruin your electronics. If its a whole house system, it should be fine. Check to make sure its pure sine wave (delicate electronics)

That is a heck of a unit you got. Follow the Manf instructions and the install should be a snap. If you have any questions, this is the place to ask them. It also helps if you have pics. We Love pics.

I have done several install's now, and can knock it out in less than 2 hours. 1st one was only 6 hrs and I had never seen a Pellet stove in my life. Only read about them (For years researching).

Thanks.

I'll be sure to get a co detector.
I'm not sure what a tsc generator is but... I cant afford a whole house generator. I'm looking at units under 1k. Would it hurt the stove if I have it hooked up to a battery backup but also have the generator(not a whole house one)hooked into the electrical box. I think I heard that you can do that(hook it up right to the box), but maybe I'm wrong. I just started researching all this so its new to me.
I'm not installing the stove myself, so hopefully the place I'm buying it from knows what they are doing.
Thats good to hear about the pellets....I wanted to have around 10 tons on hand. I'm starting out with 3 tons of energex but i want to try a few other brands as well.

I hope to get some pictures up once the install is done, probably in July.

TSC generator. Is a Tractor Supply Generator. I own a 4400 watt genny! That I would never use on my stoves. The voltage they put out, varies way to much. To be used on a newer model pellet stove. As far as the back-up goes. I got nothing for ya. Someone else will have to comment. You can get a large UPS. Enough to safely shut down the stove in case of an outage. As long as you have a Rise in your flue (an OAK would help too) then you shouldn't get much, if any smoke in your house, in the case of a power outage.

A guy here at my work who is a whole lot more knowledgeable than me straightend me out on how they hook up a portable generator.
He said there is a seperate panel that you hook whatever you want to run in an outage into. In that case, I just wont hook the stove into the generator panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.