Just removed this Better'n Ben's from grandfather's chimney, valuable or junk?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BetternbensMA

Aug 23, 2022
Williamstown, MA
Hey all, I found this forum through Google, seems like Better'N Ben's doesn't have much of an internet presence and I know next to nothing about this.

Is this something I should pay to take to the dump, or is it worth something? As far as I know, it was used just a few years ago. I took off the plates/bolts that held it into the chimney and with help was able to just barely carry it out of the house!

The plate says Model # 101, serial number is completely gone. 36"x36", tested in 1977.

Some rust, mostly on the backside which I assume the chimney hadn't been cleaned in ages, but otherwise the condition looks to be pretty darn good for its age.

I appreciate any info y'all might have!

IMG-0409.jpg IMG-0410.jpg

When I pulled the old Majestic insert from our house I found the best way to get rid of it was to give it away for free. Otherwise, the scrapyard value is about what it's worth.

Reactions: D. Hermit
Yeah not much of any value in them. Pretty much just scrap value