Just saw the coolest thing!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowleopard

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2009
I was in my garage, talking with some gentlemen who are installing an oil-burning direct-vent heater in there and in my house. We were talking about how much warmer it was in the garage than outside, even without heat, and I picked up a bottle of water out of a case that was sitting there, and said, "Look at this--the water isn't even frozen!" and it turned from clear liquid to slush in my hand. I couldn't believe it--I've heard about it, but I thought supercooling was only achieved in laboratories. I did it with another bottle, and the same thing happened. I handed one to one of the guys, and he tried tapping that, and it didn't work, but when he shook it, it immediately turned to slush. By the time we'd left the garage about ten minutes later, it was just about frozen. The untouched bottles were still clear liquid.

Simple pleasures for simple minds . . .

WHAAAAAT? I couldn't get past the wimpy oil-burning heater part. Where are we, Alaska? :lol:

Yeah. Left the kid and cat there for a week to fend for themselves and then when she is back she puts in oil heat. :coolsmirk:

Coulda just kept going, ya know. Didn't have to come back here. Coulda just walked up to any airline and shoved money across the counter, and said, "South." But did I? no. I came back. It's -20F and falling fast. Once we get a nice inversion going, we can smugly remind those flatlanders of how the weathermen always end their temperature reports: it's "warmer in the hills." (Yeah, we feel smug when it's only -39 as long as someone else has -40. I know that's pathetic, but I take my comfort where I can.) Right now, it's just cold everywhere.

I was Outside for awhile one winter. Flew back into a storm. Unusual to get cold and severe weather at the same time, but that was what awaited me. I slept on the plane, woke up disoriented when we landed, looked out the window and couldn't exactly place where I was, or why. I just looked out at the icy winds and darkness, and remembered that I had to get off there, but I couldn't remember what it was that I had done to deserve that . . .

BrotherBart said:
Yeah. Left the kid and cat there for a week to fend for themselves and then when she is back she puts in oil heat. :coolsmirk:

Where would I be without you guys? but fend for themselves, eh? Michelle is still out in the woodpile, and this furball is currently occupying . . . my pillow? Really? She got up and moved to the middle of the bed as I typed that. She is downright spooky sometimes . . . .

In the kind of weather you are having it is not a good idea even to pee outdoors!

Status
Not open for further replies.