Kaowool

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Where can it be purchased?

Is manufactuered by Thermal Ceramics. I would suggest looking for a refractory company in your area that handles Thermal Ceramics or Unifrax as they have an equivalent.
I assume you are looking for blanket.

Somebody on eBay has the blanket stuff listed pretty much year round.

Hearth Retailers who keep the stuff on hand to wrap liners may sell it. I keep an extra roll on hand for customers who need it. Charge about $20 for a "chunk" ranging from 1'x1' to 3'x3' depending on what the customer needs.

Franks said:
Hearth Retailers who keep the stuff on hand to wrap liners may sell it. I keep an extra roll on hand for customers who need it. Charge about $20 for a "chunk" ranging from 1'x1' to 3'x3' depending on what the customer needs.

Are you supposed to insulate the whole liner with this stuff or just at the base of the liner where it meets the stove?

If installing into an air cooled 1700 degree chimney, full wrap. Masonry chimney just top and bottom to create a dead air space, is how we do it.

Franks said:
If installing into an air cooled 1700 degree chimney, full wrap. Masonry chimney just top and bottom to create a dead air space, is how we do it.

Thanks. So I'm assuming you wrap around the liner at the top and bottom till the space between liner and brick is full? I'm having my insert installed in about 2 weeks and I may order some to put in while it's being installed.

How much do you think I would need? They seem to sell it in several sizes and thickness.

When I was making my propane forge I picked some up at the local hearth store. I can't remember the price but it wasn't that expensive. A little bit will last forever... I had some left over from the forge, then insulated my stove above the top firebricks, used it on the top of my liner to further seal in the heat, and still have a good amount left.

Matt

Thanks for the responses and links fellas. Oddly enough I never got any notifications that anyone ever responded to this thread.

Be careful with kaowool, spun silica (once in your lungs there for good). Wear a high quality mask.

Hurricane said:
I bought mine from these guys http://www.anvilfire.com/sales/ and they shipped real fast. The ebay guys sell whole rolls but that may be too much for what you need.
I only needed 2 ft of it.
Does anyone know if this is the same material used in insulation blankets for stoves like my oslo?

potter said:
Be careful with kaowool, spun silica (once in your lungs there for good). Wear a high quality mask.

Given that, which is worse healthwise to work with: Kaowool or Unfaced fiberglass insulation? I've heard fiberglass works just as good as Kaowool. Anyone else agree or disagree with that?

EatenByLimestone said:
When I was making my propane forge I picked some up at the local hearth store. I can't remember the price but it wasn't that expensive. A little bit will last forever... I had some left over from the forge, then insulated my stove above the top firebricks, used it on the top of my liner to further seal in the heat, and still have a good amount left.

Matt

Not meaning to hijack here, but I'm curious about your propane forge. Any links or pics? I bought a box of Cer-Wool (same as Kaowool) about three years ago, but never made the forge. Still using charcoal in my home built forge.

Status
Not open for further replies.