Keeping the ashes in the pan for the summer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if you've cleaned all the ash off of the other surfaces and just put the pan back in there with ash in it I dont see how it could hurt at any rate. Might do something, might do nothing, but I dont think it could do anything adverse. give it a whirl, let us know how it works out. I would suggest blocking both the exhaust and intake to keep moisture out. put a note in the hopper that says "hey, you blocked my holes, open them before you turn me on".

Clean the stove out entirely and leave it clean.

The ash can draw moisture and corrode the pan.

If you get rust in the stove, you may want to st a moisture absorbent canister in the stove for the summer, just dont forget to remove it before you start the thing.

I just vac our stoves out and leave them clean for the summer.

I have been known to even "LAY A FIRE" in ready. ( A handful of pellets in the pot all ready to light) in case we need to take the chill off.

Snowy

THE ROOSTER said:
Will keeping ash in the pan this summer help me keep my Harman Accentra insert with a OAK anymore dry or is this a bad idea, or does it not matter?

Thanks

but, after cleanig the stove thoroughly, WHY would you do that?

dont leave the ashes in the pot. could attract moisture which is a bad thing, do a complete cleaning buff/scrape off any carbon buildup, and if you want to get really anal about protecting the pot , go to your local farm/fleet store (my local TSC carries it) and pick up some spray graphite, the brand i use is called "slip plate" goes on like spray paint. coat the pot with it and reinstall.

BTW if you pull and clean your exhaust blower , paint the blade set with it as well makes for better performance next season as it will not build up on the blades as much with that coating on it , graphite is inert as well so no flammability issues, even helps with squeaky augers , i use a couple cases of it a summer in my lab on refurbished stoves. its IMHO a must have for serious pellet heads

Lousyweather said:
THE ROOSTER said:
Will keeping ash in the pan this summer help me keep my Harman Accentra insert with a OAK anymore dry or is this a bad idea, or does it not matter?

Thanks

but, after cleanig the stove thoroughly, WHY would you do that?

Thought it might absorb the moisture, and keep rust to a minimum...

Attachments

• MoistureTrap.jpg
    MoistureTrap.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 548
THE ROOSTER said:

Thanks

bad idea...ashes will trap moisture in the stove...act like a sponge...cause rust...

Please get rid of the ashes. Less area to be attracted by moisture. Take a rag coated with WD or similar lubricant and do a final wipe. Lot's of other suggestions that seem interesting here.

buy lots of beef jerkey/etc and take the silca packets when you're done and put them in the stove :)

I actually use 2 larger ones for my guitar cases in the summer to keep them from getting too saturated with humidity and getting sticky.

13 yr's i rarely cleaned my stove till fall, ash or no ash doesnt matter to me

I am trying some clumping kitty litter in a stocking (about a baseball sized ball) on a plate in my ash pan. I thought that it would absorb any moisture. I also put another one in my hopper. I put them on plates so the kitty litter wouldn't directly touch anything.

briansol said:
buy lots of beef jerkey/etc and take the silca packets when you're done and put them in the stove :)

I actually use 2 larger ones for my guitar cases in the summer to keep them from getting too saturated with humidity and getting sticky.

I have access to lots of those things...just don't eat them....
I use them to store my camera gear when I am not using it.

forya said:
I am trying some clumping kitty litter in a stocking (about a baseball sized ball) on a plate in my ash pan. I thought that it would absorb any moisture. I also put another one in my hopper. I put them on plates so the kitty litter wouldn't directly touch anything.

You are speaking of unused kitty litter of course???

Ashes + moisture = caustic soda i.e. lye. It will corrode the metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.