Kent Tile Heater - firebox rusted, can it be fixed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarriner

May 14, 2011
Australia
Hi All,

I'm completely new to combustion heaters but recently moved to a new house with a Kent Tile Heater installed. I decided to find out why the flue damper was jammed open and unfortunately discovered that the front third of the secondary combustion chamber has rusted away and I think also the mounting ledge for the flue has also rusted and the flue has fallen down in to the chamber which is preventing the flue damper from moving. I will try to get some photos but I'm wondering can this be fixed and is it worth the effort, or am I up for a new heater?

cheers,

Dave

Photos to see the extent of the rust would be great. That Kent is an awesome little stove. If it can be repairs by a welder and some steel for a hundred or two, I'd try my best to fix it up.

Based on the photos I have seen of the Kent's secondary setup and damper puck, I am guessing that restoring it would be difficult. You might have an easier time of locating a nice used one that hasn't been left to rot. Photos will help us better assess this. Can you include one looking into the stove from the flue pipe outlet?

I managed to get the flue loosened and out a bit so here are some pictures.

view of secondary chamber from the front

P1000358.jpg"

view through the flue hole

P1000353.jpg"

view of the rust hole at the rear of the flue

P1000350.jpg"

cheers,

Dave

stick a fork in it, it's done...

Yep, that one is toast - RIP.

Sweet deal. That would make a nice donor stove is there was a family in need in the area.

BeGreen said:
Sweet deal. That would make a nice donor stove is there was a family in need in the area.

If I had that much energy I would lug it out here.

Webmaster said:
That stove was not heavily built
Beg to differ with you, Craig. The firebox is 1/4" and secondary chamber is 9mm (just shy of 3/8"). I'd say that's pretty stout - thicker than any other steel stove I've seen. What it doesn't have is all the weight added by air channels around the body, and firebrick.

Wish I could grab that unit in DC. Would be nice to have a backup firebox.

Thats what I was afraid of. I do have access to a workshop and some pretty handy fabricators in the family, any major reason we couldnt replace the rusted parts or even fabricate a complete new firebox?

cheers,

Dave

That stove is in kinda rough shape. If it was me and I had access to a metal shop, and I didnt work 60 hours a week, I would try to spend time fixing it up. I grew up with one, so it would be more for nostalgia and to have a nice easy to use stove to tinker with. Of course, you could just try to find a stove for 3-400 thats in better shape with less abuse.

That inspirational photo of a newish TileFire looks vaguely familiar. Good to see that they are doing a nice restoration. That one looks in way better shape than the rusted-out box of the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.