Kentucky Kernel pellets - good/bad/indeferent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ro3bert

Dec 4, 2010
New Fairfield, CT
I have 2 tons of the Kentucy Kernel pellets to start using after the few bags of American Biomass Cleanfire are finished. Anyone familier with them?

Got them at our local hardware store. I think they get the cheapest provider they can or whatever brand is available. The last brand was the Cleanfire pellets.

Whatever the quality I'm stuck with them, just wanted to hear what others thought of them.

Thanks, Robert

I burned some last season. I though they were good. Heat was above average and the ash was pretty low. Only issue I saw was long pellets in the mix. But supposed to be cured now!

You should be happy with them, But keep us posted. :)

Robert,

I bought a full truckload last year of Kentucky Kernals. I actually took a plant tour in Louisville. What impressed me the most about the plant was they actually had a pellet stove installed where they would test pellets.

The company manufactures bed frames for college dorms, etc and uses the waste to prooduce pellets.

I actually have a half of ton left that I'm burning now. The major problem some of us had with these pellets was that several of them were too long.....well over 2 inches. We had several instances,(my self included), where the pellets would bridge/build up in the bottom of the hopper as they would not feed into the auger. This happened many times in my Harman stove. I would come home and the4 stove would not be lit. I had to stir up the pellets in the hopper to prevent bridging. I will also mention I never had an issue iusing them in my Whitfield insert.

This year we purchased direct from Somerset. They are a much hotter burning pellet but some have issues with clinkers. Overall, I would recommend Somersets over Kentucky Kernal's.

You may want to try Country Boy, if available, They are anothe rbrand produced in kentucky. Very clean burning but we had problems with the bags splitting open. I dont know if they ever corrected the problem.

Thanks y'all, maybe I'll bring in a couple of them next time I have to replenish the inside bags.

I'll let you know how they burn.

Robert

j-takeman said:
I burned some last season. I though they were good. Heat was above average and the ash was pretty low. Only issue I saw was long pellets in the mix. But supposed to be cured now!

I bought a ton at a feed store $195. I didn't have any long pellets. Burnning at about 180 with average ash. I am happy with them.

Watson said:
j-takeman said:

I bought a ton at a feed store $195. I didn't have any long pellets. Burnning at about 180 with average ash. I am happy with them.

That wouldn't be Carney's would it? Thats where I got mine I'm happy with them so far.

P0ZBURN said:
Watson said:
j-takeman said:

That wouldn't be Carney's would it? Thats where I got mine I'm happy with them so far.
That would be Carney's. Tempreture was 280 not 180.

I have been carrying these since '08 and they have shortened the pellets considerably since then. There were a lot of issues with bridging in top feed stoves. I have a lot of customers that love these pellets and have had few complaints about them. You shouldn't have any issues with them.

I heard they taste like chicken...

colonel-sanders.gif

Purchased 5 tons of the Kentucky Kernel product this year. This might be the worst pellet I have ever purchased. Pellets Burn Dirty with lots of ash and create tons of clinker buildup. Pellet are also too long. The Kernel is forcing me to clean my stove about twice a week. Up to this point once a week cleaning was perfect. Never had such a bad product. I think the premium label is totally misleading. In the past, I have used LG & Spruce Pointe with no troubles.

Wish I could get a do over this year. Lesson learned. I have been burning these Kentucky Kernel's in a Harman Accenture insert and a Breckwell Big E standalone stove.
Stay Clear if you can there are better choices for your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.