kill o watt meters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great idea! I think I will suggest it to our county.

You might as well just buy one. They are only about 15 bucks last time I looked. The price went way down when they came out with the new model that holds memory. For me bein a cheapskate a pen will do fine.

I have one of the $34 "Kill a Watt" models... I do like the memory without worrying about batteries. Another seller on Amazon.com now has the same model for about $2 more with a short patch cord to get it away from behind large electrical items so you can monitor it much easier....

I ran a check on my Freedom Bay blower unit... It has dual blower's, but I couldn't find where the electrical rating was. I needed to know the wattage so I could pick up a 12v/110v battery inverter to use if power went out. Lowes' had a coupon for $10 off next purchase, so I bought a Black and Decker 400 watt Modified SW inverter to run the blower..... ;>)

On high the FBay blower uses 175 watts, and on the lowest setting, it uses 84 watts.

The Library checkout is a good thing!

Bill

I have owned mine for years and still use it. I just clocked my refrigerator at 4.3 Kwh for 48 hours. That's a whopping 43 cents for two days of refrigeration! This refer is pretty old too and makes some funny noises so I had been worried that efficiency was in the crapper.

My entertainment center sucks 12 watts when everything is off. That's not good. That's like a whole lightbulb running 24/7 when I jump on my kids' case about leaving lights on.

With you checking your fridge, you reminded me that I also checked my Central system. It's a Trane LP gas heat system. I checked the perm. magnet, variable speed blower motor with it running on the manual "Fan" setting of low speed. With the heat in the den, running the blower helps spread out the heat.

I found that it was fairly good at moving and equalizing the wood heat with 300 watts. So, to run the blower in 30 minutes to an hour lengths, I can do that for about 3 hours at a cost of 12 cents.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.