kiln dried scrap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

latitude45

Oct 4, 2009
petoskey, mi
www.flickr.com
2/3 of a full cord.. maple/ash/oak kiln dried ends.. maybe the best $3o I have spent this year!

small splits wouldn't register on my moisture meeter..

Question.. what is the best was to burn this stuff? Build a nice bed of coals and chuck it in?
Thinking this will be used mostly by the wife to keep the fire going during the day..

6KfHx.jpg

2 year old D here helping dad unload..

I burn stuff like that every Fall & Spring,plus use some to grill meat/veggies over in the firepit & Weber kettle.Just be careful not to load up your stove or other inside woodburner with too much of that smaller stuff,can overfire & get dangerously hot.

I would use that stuff in small doses as a firestarter or as the previous poster mentioned you could easily overfire your stove.. Great deal on good firestarter wood!

Ray

Experiment on the weekends. You might be surprised how well it burns packed tightly together.
Looks like you have a good little helper there. :)

Yeah, D is a great helper. He can already handle 1/4 splits!

Stuck 5 of the smallish chunks in the fire tonight and wow do they start fast! I think they will be great for the wife to keep the fire going until the pyro gets home from work! :)

Overfire the stove?

Turn the draft down and it will be fine!

I use scraps like you have in that trailer to start fires, but if I didn't have plenty of reg wood to burn I'd pack the stove full and enjoy.

Good fire starter or for shoulder season fires . . . I most definitely would not just toss a whole bunch of it into a stove on hot coals . . . doing so with my woodstove would result in a very, very scary looking fire . . . no doubt in my mind.

I agree on the overfire issue. Maybe mix them in with regular splits. Small, dry chunks like that pack serious BTU's with all that surface area exposed. Maybe like Chief said, tighly packed, I would add "in small amounts." Sure, you can close the primary damper, but if you have an EPA stove will be pulling air in front the secondary intake. It could go nuke on you. Price is right though.

NATE379 said:
Overfire the stove?

Turn the draft down and it will be fine!

I use scraps like you have in that trailer to start fires, but if I didn't have plenty of reg wood to burn I'd pack the stove full and enjoy.

true...unless someone throws the door open

I just find the "overfire" worry to be a bit funny in a way.
You'd have to try really hard to ruin a stove by getting it HOT.

My Dad has a cheap Northern Hydraulics box stove in his workshop. All he burns in the shop is 2x4s cut to ~16" lengths. He has been heating the shop like that for over 20 years (couple other stovers over the years) and never had an issue with it.

I can't see how lumber or "scraps" would be any different than very well dried spruce in log form. Many of use in AK burn spruce.

NATE379 said:

My Dad has a cheap Northern Hydraulics box stove in his workshop. All he burns in the shop is 2x4s cut to ~16" lengths. He has been heating the shop like that for over 20 years (couple other stovers over the years) and never had an issue with it.

I can't see how lumber or "scraps" would be any different than very well dried spruce in log form. Many of use in AK burn spruce.

simple: scraps have more surface area than logs.

regarding overfiring tho:
someone in my house (no one will admit it of course!) left the draft open pretty wide one night whilst some primo hickory was loaded up and it warped the baffle. a well made, non-epa firebox can withstand overfiring but, depending on their design, newer stoves may not.

your mileage may vary

OT

+1 to Onetracker . . . more surface area and typically much drier than most folks' seasoned splits.

Most would use it for shoulder season. I use it on the bitter cold days and nights! ;-)

onetracker said:
NATE379 said:

simple: scraps have more surface area than logs.

regarding overfiring tho:
someone in my house (no one will admit it of course!) left the draft open pretty wide one night whilst some primo hickory was loaded up and it warped the baffle. a well made, non-epa firebox can withstand overfiring but, depending on their design, newer stoves may not.

your mileage may vary

OT

Plus flames shooting out of the chimney disturbs the neighbors.
Some people have no sense of humour when there are flames where there usually aren't any.
I guess it cleans the chimney though. :)

If I threw a ton of those scraps on a bed of coals I would have to ride it out.
Shutting the air down does not always shut it down.
I have not pushed it to the brink and over-fired but I have been very concerned at times.

on the other hand I would burn it. packed in tight like blocks and it does stifle it a bit. easier to control.

NATE379 said:

It depends on what stove your runnin NATE. My Napoleon would of gone into melt down. Again...... the BK will snuff it out in 20 paces.
Cheers

latitude45 said:
2/3 of a full cord.. maple/ash/oak kiln dried ends.. maybe the best $3o I have spent this year!

Question.. what is the best was to burn this stuff? Build a nice bed of coals and chuck it in?
Thinking this will be used mostly by the wife to keep the fire going during the day..

By all means, using those for when the wife keeps the fire going during the day will be great. They will work not only in the shoulder season but also mid winter. Buy more! Just warn her to not fill the stove.

After a little test run, I can see how packing these away could get out of hand.. and quickly.. especially if you were not watching the stove. If you keep a good eye on it and damper down at the right time no problems. They are great for starting fires and keeping them going afew chunks at a time. defiantly will not be my main source of fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.