kiln-dried wood storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal MA
hello friends...
i have about an eighth of a cord of kiln-dried wood left over from this year. it is stored in the basement as of now. during the warmer weather when the humidity rises, im assuming the moisture will raise along with the humidity. would it be a better idea just to screw it and throw it outside where the humidity is also going to raise, but at least its in the sun and wind? what thinks yous?

One source of moisture in a basement is when warm/hot air enter. Try to keep the windows closed. If the moisture is to high due to ground water level you could run a dehumidifier for a while. I wouldn't be too concerned about the fire wood after all your house is made of wood. You can use a moisture meter to check the floor joists/splits in different seasons. I am certain you won't find a huge variation.

Will

Kiln dried it seems it should be fine. As Will stated, you can always put a dehumidifier down there if it does get too wet. It just would seem a shame to have to handle it a couple more times but if there isn't too much then it wouldn't be too bad.

Remember this for future years and always try to have it so your basement is out of wood by the time the heating season is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.