Kindling & Shoulder Season Wood for 2011

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Still have plenty of this (Basswood) stacked back in the woods so I'll use some for the kindling then use the rest for some shoulder season wood along with the aspen.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0536.jpg
    100_0536.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 381
  • 100_0538.jpg
    100_0538.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 403
I have nothing specifically for shoulder season. I just burn waht I have. I get a mix of Cherry, Maple, Oak, and locust. All are pretty good woods but I do burn Locust and Oak on the colder nights.

wood spliter said:
I have nothing specifically for shoulder season. I just burn waht I have. I get a mix of Cherry, Maple, Oak, and locust. All are pretty good woods but I do burn Locust and Oak on the colder nights.

We usually burn cherry from the start but this year (2011-2012) we will have some aspen and basswood ready. It's down so we should give it the respect it deserves and burn it!

Zap

Locust is gold here, it only gets brought out on special occasions. The only oak I've seen is furniture or trim. I'm with you Zap, its all got a place and the stuff most look down their noses at probably supplies 80% of the heat in this house.

SolarAndWood said:
Locust is gold here, it only gets brought out on special occasions. The only oak I've seen is furniture or trim. I'm with you Zap, its all got a place and the stuff most look down their noses at probably supplies 80% of the heat in this house.

Seasoning time for a dead basswood, 6 months?

Zap

Not even especially if it is split small. I use it as the sacrificial layer on top of the coal bed at reload time. Or a load of it and one decent split in the middle and you have an overnighter without using too much of the good stuff.

SolarAndWood said:
Not even especially if it is split small. I use it as the sacrificial layer on top of the coal bed at reload time. Or a load of it and one decent split in the middle and you have an overnighter without using too much of the good stuff.

Solar, the basswood I'm going with bigger splits so they last longer.

Zap

zapny said:
Solar, the basswood I'm going with bigger splits so they last longer.

Zap

Yep - I usually keep the lesser woods split a little bigger than normal. But for shoulder season, one of my tricks (cuz I don't usually have much of the soft woods) is to split some ash considerably smaller than normal. Allows for quick, hot fires with some coaling.

Bass will burn okay, just not very long. Seasons pretty fast too. If you want that for kindling next fall, it will be ready. I think you may like that better for kindling than the popple.

Burning mostly silver birch here now, my better wood can season for next winter.
I'm almost letting the fire go out before reloading, it's positively mild here now at 53f daytime and 42f at night.
It's nice to be able to collect more wood than I burn, now's the time to get ahead of the game!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.