Knock on wood...er, i mean pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muss

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Embden, Maine
tds
Well, i ran her on meduim for about 6 hours , still on auto mode, now it's been on low for almost 3 hrs . The heat has been fantastic but i know it's not that cold out today. I have the stove thermostat set now at 72, before that, i had it at 80, i know, i know, but what do ya want from me, i'm french lol . I know that this is gonna be a learning curve . I'm more of a set it & forget kind of guy but i think i'll probably have to go in manual mode to get to know my stove . I know at least 1 thing for sure, i went thru a hell of a lot of pellets . But now i know , duh, to set the thermostat lower than 80. To have the heat go upstairs is a blessing though . My oil heat just didn't make it up there . Oh yeah, speaking of wood, :) it was a hell of a good feeling to call & cancel my auto delivery of oil this afternoon till further notice :lol: . I'm gonna need another bag before i go to bed tonite & set the temp at about 66 i think . It was so gratifying to see all your posts on my thread . Thanks all of you . I'll definetely be a regular . Muss

keep enjoying it muss......lol
any preference on the brand of pellet you tried, or you haven't really experimented more than 1 brand yet.......?

Glad you're liking it, Muss! Yeah, half the fun is telling the oil man where to stick it and the other half is tinkering with the stove to figure out how to get the most out of it. There is a learning curve for sure. I played with mine for a while before I figured out exactly what settings I needed in what weather to keep the house comfortable. Now it's become routine and my husband can even do it! LOL :)

muss said:
Well, i ran her on meduim for about 6 hours , still on auto mode, now it's been on low for almost 3 hrs . The heat has been fantastic but i know it's not that cold out today. I have the stove thermostat set now at 72, before that, i had it at 80, i know, i know, but what do ya want from me, i'm french lol . I know that this is gonna be a learning curve . I'm more of a set it & forget kind of guy but i think i'll probably have to go in manual mode to get to know my stove . I know at least 1 thing for sure, i went thru a hell of a lot of pellets . But now i know , duh, to set the thermostat lower than 80. To have the heat go upstairs is a blessing though . My oil heat just didn't make it up there . Oh yeah, speaking of wood, :) it was a hell of a good feeling to call & cancel my auto delivery of oil this afternoon till further notice :lol: . I'm gonna need another bag before i go to bed tonite & set the temp at about 66 i think . It was so gratifying to see all your posts on my thread . Thanks all of you . I'll definetely be a regular . Muss

Awesome muss!! I keep mine at 80 alot of times too......but only to get the heat distributed at a comfortable level. I turn it to low when its above 20 or so.....I find if I know its going to dip to 20 at night or below I keep mine at medium....that way if it gets real cold then its stays heated evenly but if I go on low when its 20 or below then it takes more time to get it back up to temp than I want to wait lol. I go through a bag a day.....have never gone over that. On days or nights that are really cold and I want more warmth I close off the upstairs as our bedroom is on first floor. Upstairs is a pool/game room....and other is a home gym area so we only need heat there when we are up there.

Glad you like your stove.....take a lil tweaking to get it to your liking....

I have kept my new stove running almost constant as the wife likes it HOT. It was over 60 out and I still have the stove going. It's only on level 2 and its almost 80 in here. but I am heating a very closed style house with almost no insulation on the first floor.

Shawn

Way to go, Muss. Stay toasty warm. I came home today and my wife was sitting in the room where our stove is and saying how nice it is to have 75deg when it's cold outside. We have never been able to enjoy warmth like this unless we cranked up the furnace....and that isnt any fun because of the cost.

Enjoy the warmth and the pellet drama. :)

muss said:
...it was a hell of a good feeling to call & cancel my auto delivery of oil this afternoon till further notice :lol:

I understand that muss !! I wasn't on auto-delivery, but I wonder if anyone at the oil company has wondered why I haven't called for oil lately. It is a good feeling !!

And it's not a fossil fuel - no greenhouse gasses being produced here.

Shooter said:
Enjoy the warmth and the pellet drama. :)

It is a drama isn't it - the prices, the delivery, the quality..... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.