"Kodiak" stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kobudo

Sep 10, 2008
MN
I just found this site a month or two ago and love it.
We have a Castine in our cabin. We also have a stove in our garage. It is a cast iron model that may have been an insert model at one time. It is a "Kodiak" and has a pretty large firebox size.
Is anyone familiar with this stove? I don't believe it is mfg. any longer.

Also, one more bit of identification;

Instead of a sliding lever like our Castine, it has two cast iron "knobs" that you turn clockwise to close off air intake and counter clockwise to open and let more air into the stove.

Sounds like an older, non-EPA compliant stove aka "smoke dragon." Those mechanisms were common. The old smoke dragon that I replaced had 1 door with a knob like that. Although it had an enormous firebox (almost 4 cf), using the new EPA stove, I'm realizing just how inefficient the old stove was. You had to feed it a lot of wood to get it hot and keep it hot so it would throw off heat. I'm amazed at how much more quickly the new stove begins throwing off heat and how much less wood it consumes.

Sounds like a steel insert stove with cast iron doors maybe? Does it have a top baffle and secondary air supply?

I believe the entire unit is cast iron.

Can you describe what a top baffle is? It doesn't have a secondary air source just the two knobs on the doors.

I know the previous owner had it set in a fireplace opening in their house. We have just used it freestanding in our garage for years. It is lined inside with firebricks on the bottom and sides of the stove.

I think "kodiak" may be the mfg. but it could be the model name.

There is a Kodiak model currently made by Enviro. Whether this stove is an ancestor is unknown. It sounds like an old unit, aka smoke dragon.

this is a monster from the 1970's when everyone with a welding shop was making stoves. Please buy a nice clean EPA approved stove

Status
Not open for further replies.