kwh compared to therms? (gas or electric hot water)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyny

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2007
upstate ny
Since I preheat my domestic hw with a home brew heat exchanger I wonder if I would be better off using an electric water heater. Presently I have a separate 50 gal tank that the cold water enters, when the wood boiler is running it makes hot water thru my heat exchanger. (5 ft of 2inch black iron pipe with 1/2 inch finned copper running thru it) and that feeds into my gas water heater. My nat gas bill varies from 5 to 17 therms per month. 17 therms is about 38 bucks. I was wondering if it would be better (cheaper) to use an electric water heater, since there would be no standby looses. When I googled a therms to kwh calculator it says 17 therms equals 498 kwh. Is that correct? IF it is gas is much cheaper in my area. Any thoughts.
Mike

I believe in most places gas is currently cheaper than elec. Not so a few years ago and who Knows what the future holds.

Status
Not open for further replies.