L.L. Bean creating more jobs to meet production demands . Bean boots still made in the USA!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad something is still made in the USA.

Hey fishingpol, I still have a fleece hunting suit which was purchased at LL Bean....in 1987. There are still a few years of wear left but it is getting a bit thin in spots. It is in trebark camo.

I love those boots as well as the moccasin version. I need to get a pair.
I had a bright green moccasin pair back in the early 80's when they were all the rage.
Quality stuff...can't beat it :)

Between the bean boots, the hats with ear flaps, and kids ALL wearing backpacks on their back I have to ask who taught these kids to dress like dorks? I dig the boots, and the hat, and can't complain about a good backpack but it only really helps when YOU'RE OUTSIDE and not on the couch texting your friend while you're both in the same room watching TV and trying to make a webcam of yourself.

Manufacturing will come back, but don't count on the jobs coming with it.

btuser said:
on the couch texting your friend while you're both in the same room watching TV and trying to make a webcam of yourself.

I am so glad my swimmers never hookedup with any live eggs :blank:

I wish they still made their shirts in the USA with decent materials. I keep wearing out their flannel shirt cuffs in a few years when the rest of the shirt is in perfect condition. I have some shirts 3 times as old where this hasn't happened.

There is a gray area in advertising. I bought a pair of basic rubber boots for fishing in muck areas. They have the LL Bean name on them, but the same boots were in an outfitters magazine under a different name. Just because it says the name, doesn't mean they made it. It should be guaranteed because of the LL Bean name on it though.

BeGreen said:
I wish they still made their shirts in the USA with decent materials. I keep wearing out their flannel shirt cuffs in a few years when the rest of the shirt is in perfect condition. I have some shirts 3 times as old where this hasn't happened.

They stand by their products forever. If you have the moxie to do it, you can return them for free replacements.

I returned a very expensive terrycloth bathrobe when it looked ratty in just a couple of months. They sent a brand new one. Same thing happened. I kept that one. It's a dog blanket now.

My cast iron steamer pot on a trivet on top of my Englander is an LL Bean product, and it's rusted to heck and back. It cost around $100 (both pieces) maybe 20 years ago. I know they'd replace the steamer but, other than looking like crap, it functions beautifully. So it stays.

Nancy

Not really on topic...

There was a spoof catalog called "Items From Our Catalog" that had the LL Bean catalog nailed cold. Exact same typeface, layouts and illustrations, but the ad content was hilarious. Everything came in the usual colors plus camoflage. One of the items was a baby. Of course, it came in white, black, yellow and camoflage.

I wonder what ever happened to my copy of that thing...

Nancy

PopCrackleSnap said:
BeGreen said:

They stand by their products forever. If you have the moxie to do it, you can return them for free replacements.

I returned a very expensive terrycloth bathrobe when it looked ratty in just a couple of months. They sent a brand new one. Same thing happened. I kept that one. It's a dog blanket now.

My cast iron steamer pot on a trivet on top of my Englander is an LL Bean product, and it's rusted to heck and back. It cost around $100 (both pieces) maybe 20 years ago. I know they'd replace the steamer but, other than looking like crap, it functions beautifully. So it stays.

Nancy

The problem is that they no longer make them in that color, which I really like. And I'm not fond of the current colors. So it would mean giving the shirts up which I'm not ready to do. But I think I will write them and send some shots of frayed cuffs.

BeGreen said:
PopCrackleSnap said:
BeGreen said:

Nancy

The problem is that they no longer make them in that color, which I really like. And I'm not fond of the current colors. So it would mean giving the shirts up which I'm not ready to do. But I think I will write them and send some shots of frayed cuffs.

Replacing a shirt cuff is not that hard a job. You could probably turn it so that the frayed section is hidden in the seam between the cuff and sleeve. Just sayin'.

I was a little disoriented when I read this--still stuck back with Nancy's camo baby. When I read that they no longer make them in that color, which you really like, I had to push my reset button.

I was wondering about that, but it is above my skill set. Still, thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I can find someone to do it, hopefully for not more than the shirt costs.

I don't buy a lot of stuff from LL Bean . . . but the stuff I do get is usually good . . . regardless of where it is made . . . it lasts a long time and whenever I've felt as if I haven't got my money's worth out of it I have returned the item for a replacement . . . I cannot tell you how many hiking boots I returned when I was wearing hiking boots 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

LLBean stuff ain't what it used to be, but they still stand behind their stuff which is good. Almost all of it is made in China (like the moccasins I'm wearing right now...http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58679?feat=629-CL1) One real problem I have is in general, they don't have any good outdoor boots with good soles for use in winter. I bought a set for my wife many moons ago and they were fantastic, nice thick soles, heavy lugs, she never lost her footing...now the replacement product has a nearly smooth soles on it, so she has trouble with slipping even in snow, never mind the ice we get.

If you do buy any of their products, make sure to save your receipt...you'll need it in order to prove that you paid full price for the product when you return it, otherwise you'll get lowest price ever credit. The return polict really is as generous as they say...I've been using the same backpack that my mother got me as a 2nd grader, but I've had it replaced 6 times or so.

A surprizing number of companies have satisfaction guaranteed forever policies. Clark shoes, Land End, Eddie Bauer, Hammacher Schlemmer. There are many others...before you chuck stuff out, check the manufactuer's website and see.

I bought some of the standard walking boots - which I use for snoeshoeing and other stuff. They are about 15 years old and I completely abuse them!

They are still whole - I'm thinking of doing a little restoration on them this year - new laces and some leather polish, etc......

They still make a LOT of good stuff - but, like anything else, you probably have to pick and choose. Kudos to them for the jobs they create here...and, in fact, for their entire "customer first" attitude. I think it could fairly be said that they led the revolution in customer satisfaction.

It's so damn simple when you think about it. We guarantee your satisfaction...forever! Wow.

mayhem said:
Clark shoes, Land End, Eddie Bauer, Hammacher Schlemmer. There are many others...before you chuck stuff out, check the manufactuer's website and see.

Don't mention Clark shoes!

I have a pair - was $120. Worth them about 5 miles worth.

They sat in the closet and were used maybe 5 times a year. After ten years, the entire bottom separated from the shoes. I brought them in. No go, they said. I called corporate - they said to sent them in. They sent them back....with a no go noted.

They claim the thread rots from "sitting around". But my house is not humid and they were stored with every other shoe which is still whole.

They are full of it. Big time. Searching around, I see a lot of others had the same problem. Bad thread on their part.

firefighterjake said:
I don't buy a lot of stuff from LL Bean . . . but the stuff I do get is usually good . . . regardless of where it is made . . . it lasts a long time and whenever I've felt as if I haven't got my money's worth out of it I have returned the item for a replacement . . . I cannot tell you how many hiking boots I returned when I was wearing hiking boots 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Speaking of 365 days a year. Last time I was at their store a few years ago, I found it funny that they had no front door locks since they are open 24/7/365. I find the Maine hunting shoe is limited to wearing in fall and spring and a not so cold winter. They are good comfortable muck boots, but for winter sports, I need something heavier with a better insulative value.

fishingpol said:
I was glad to see this article. At least a small shot in the arm for the area. Mine are due for a re-sole soon... These were popular years ago. I've always liked them. I am wearing the moccasins version now.

Will this make it to the can?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ll-bean-boot-gets-kick-173715613.html

Putting Amercians to work, this is the stimulus we need. Those morons in Washington need to look at this article and stop talking empty economics gibberish.

PopCrackleSnap said:
Not really on topic...

There was a spoof catalog called "Items From Our Catalog" that had the LL Bean catalog nailed cold. Exact same typeface, layouts and illustrations, but the ad content was hilarious. Everything came in the usual colors plus camoflage. One of the items was a baby. Of course, it came in white, black, yellow and camoflage.

I wonder what ever happened to my copy of that thing...

Nancy

I remember that. My family had one years ago. My mother probably has it somewhere now. I'll have to ask her about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.