lange wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff123

Jun 28, 2008
eastern,ct
HI,

I'm looking to purchase a wood stove which will be located in me cellar. I am looking at two older Lange stoves for sale near me for $250.00 each, both look in decent shape. When looking at an older Lange stove what problems should I look for ? What parts should I look at to ensure they are not needing replacement adding $$$ to final costs. Should I avoid these stoves ?

I'm loooking at the Lange becuase I have read some good reviews, they are in my price range and area.

thx

jeff

Look very closely for any cracks in the castings. Also inspect the condition of the burn plates. If the stove looks greyish on the exterior then it is a possible sign of overfiring. Most likely all seam will need to be recaulked, but that isn't a big deal.

Is the basement nice and tightly caulked and insulated? Will the stove get it's own dedicated flue in the basement? Another thing to watch for is whether there are competing devices for the air supply in the basement. If there are a gas hw heater, furnace, dryer, bathfan, etc. it could be an issue by the negative pressure created. The Lange will not have an outside air option.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/14115/

I'll check out everything you commented on.

The stove will be in the basement on a dedicated flu into my masonary chimmey, the house is only 15 years old and I had an extra flue added in the cellar for a stove.

A few more questions.

My stove must be near the oil burner, that's the location of the flue. I plan on building a concrete block wall between the stove and boiler for safety, any issues with that idea ?

Also, what type of stove pipe do I need to use from the stove to the flue ? The stove will be sitting directly under the flue, very short run, 2 ( 90 degree) turns and maybe 2 feet of straight pipe ?

How close to the oil burner? It should be greater than 3 feet. I would prefer about 6 ft. If you can do 6 ft then no need from a safety standpoint of the added concrete wall. The main issue may be that the stove and furnace will be competing for air supply in the basement. If there are additional competing devices like a dryer or bath fan, the basement may be a negative pressure zone which can make for poor draft. Do you know if the furnace has it's own outside air supply?

Re: flue connections: Instead of 2 90s, consider connecting to the chimney with 2 -45s and a short connector piece of pipe. That will help draft. The type of pipe will depend on clearances to the nearest combustible surface. Single wall requires at least 18" in all directions, double-wall requires at least 6".

Re: basement stove, will this be just for heating the basement? Is the basement insulated and tight? How will the heat get upstairs from the stove?

The stove will be about 3 feet from burner, I have no choice the flue is located 3 feet from the furnace flue, that was my thinking on putting up a qucik wall , just to play it safe.

I'll take your advice and use 2 45 degree turns, thanks

The basement is fairly tight, my plans are to use the stove to heat the basement a bit and leave the door going upstairs open to let whatever heat rise I can get. I'm just looking at suplement my current heating system if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.