Lap top screen flickering

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyny

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2007
upstate ny
Anyone know why a laptop screen would flicker. Some times its fine other times it flickers like crazy. It doesnt seem like its a bad connection because it is so unpredictable.
Any thoughts?
P.S. Girlfriend says " you really think the hearth.com knows everything? are you kidding?"

DONT LET ME DOWN HERE FOLKS
Mike

Not too sure about a laptop but with a flickering screen on an old CRT monitor I'd adjust the "refresh rate" in display properties.

The other thing that comes to mind would be to update the graphics driver. You should do it directly from the graphics chip manufacturer's website (i.e. Nvidia, ATI, etc...) if possible. Otherwise checking the laptop manufacturer's website for graphics updates might also help...

If that doesn't help I'd be thinking it's a hardware problem.

Thanks,
I will check into that later today. For now I have to go spend some money on gifts for the 25th at the mall and try to push this economy along.
Mike

does it flicker randomly? or does it flicker more when you move the screen?

the screen on my dell flickered randomly and when i moved the screen. It ended up being a power inverter.

mikeyny said:
Anyone know why a laptop screen would flicker. Some times its fine other times it flickers like crazy. It doesnt seem like its a bad connection because it is so unpredictable.
Any thoughts?
P.S. Girlfriend says " you really think the hearth.com knows everything? are you kidding?"

DONT LET ME DOWN HERE FOLKS
Mike

Mike,
Typical laptop display is backlit by fluorescent tube. I'd look there second. First, I'd check on any applicable vendor support forums. Yours cannot be the first/only. You likely will find/locate tips there for parts/repair.
Nobody knows everything; why would that even be in play?
Happy hunting

Odds are its either the display itself on its way out because the backlight is failing, or one or more of the wires in he hinges that feed the display from the video card output are frayed and starting to give out on you.

Specific make and model?

hp g series I think. Might be g-6.

My husband the computer genius wants to know...

What kind of laptop?

How old is it?

How big is the screen?

When it flickers, does it go funny colors, or just light flickering?

How is your battery life? Does it seem like it holds a charge as well as it used to?

~Rose

Hello Rose ( and genius husband)
It is a 2 yr old hp g-50 series normal size laptop. the screen flickers a little sometimes and extreme other times. It seems to be the normal colors, ( not just black and white). The battery is normal, not old and no sign that is is aging or low on life. A friend said to connect it to an external monitor and that would determine if it were a software or hardware problem??? So what do ya think. ( I work in construction and have many tools to fix all kinds of things, but sometimes I just want to take a hammer to this thing) probably not a good thing, right?
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.