Last Civil War veteran widow dies.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PaulOinMA

Minister of Fire
Oct 20, 2018
MA
Seems like this is in the news every few years. :)

Just heard this on the radio while headed to the dentist this morning. The WBZ announcer said something like, "coming up, the last Civil War veteran widow dies. We'll let your noodle think about that," and they cut to commercial.

She was 17 and he was 93. Married during the Depression to get his pension. She never applied for it, though.

Last Known Surviving Widow of a Civil War Veteran Dies at 101 in Missouri (msn.com)

That pretty much is my plan to get back the money I paid into SS. The big draw back is that I cannot think of a teenager I could stand to be around long enough for the nuptials.

My BIL's brother was an alcoholic and died in 2016 at 52. An illustration: SIL couldn't find her little bottle of vanilla extract. It was found empty later in the linen closet stashed behind towels.

Was in Broadway lighting for 15 years. Left his pension to his brother's two sons, as they were teenagers at the time. They get a check every month.