Last piece - Hearth Insert finally "installed"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TradEddie

Minister of Fire
Jan 24, 2012
SE PA
I needed a hearth extension for my new insert, but the prices in any local store were outrageous, $250-350 for a few feet of angle iron, durock, tile and grout? To add insult to injury, everything was special order, would cost $60 shipping, and the demo samples in the stores looked nothing like the catalog photos, so there was no guarantee of what the finished product would look like. Online wasn't initially much better, prices were lower, but shipping was still a killer.
I decided to make one myself, using some left-over tiles but while looking online for design ideas, I found what looked like a great deal, $82 plus $25 shipping for a Hearthsafe 12x48 extension. I figured that even if I didn't like the pattern, it wasn't a bad price for getting the angle iron cut, bent and welded, presumably far better than anything I could do.
It arrived today, and although the finish on the iron edge was not impressive, splashed glossy paint or sealant in several places, the tile was a simple black, and perfectly finished. What a relief, I had fears of some really cheap piece of junk, that got dropped in transit due to the budget shipping.

Now just need some cold weather again.

TE

IMG_6367.JPG .IMG_6365.JPG

Looks great!

Neat Idea.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but these photos looks like exactly what I need for my installation. can anyone confirm that this meets code?

Answered in your first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.