Last Weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

08brute

Sep 30, 2009
South Dakota
Thought I would share...

I scored a bunch of Ash, Maple, and Elm last weekend from a neighbor that tore out a grove. I brought my skid loader (NH lx565) with my new grapple bucket, my log flatbed (converted hay wagon), saw, and some friends to help. It was all in a big pile so I had to pull the pile apart and dig the good stuff out. I cut the logs to 10 - 14' lengths and hauled them home. Here is after I had about 1/2 of them bucked (notice the remaining logs in the background). Most of the rounds are 20 - 26" across. I am now almost done splitting/stacking. I should have about 6 or 7 cords when I am done.

My daughter (Emersyn) sat in her high chair and watched daddy clean his saw (on the kitchen table, dont tell mommy) until she fell asleep. Hollie (my wife) later asked "why does Emmi smell like gas?" to which I replied "she rebuilt her first carburator."

Attachments

• Rounds.jpg
    Rounds.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 309
  • Rounds at Distance.jpg
    Rounds at Distance.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 278
  • Rounds up Close.jpg
    Rounds up Close.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 291
  • Emmi in Chair.jpg
    Emmi in Chair.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 309
You folks that have trees with no branches and a long trunk are so lucky. Everything I seem to split is full of Y's, branches and knots.

PS: Looks like you tuckered your little helper out!

I passed on a lot of wood. Basically anything with Y's or branches or anything under about 16". I was in a hurry because the elderly farmer was planning on throwing a match to the pile the next day. I am thinking about buying a few pair of work gloves to give out when someone lets me hunt or cut wood on their land. Definately would be worth it!

Looks good brute, thanks for sharing. I hope Santa brings emmi her very own stihl 460, plastic of course. :)

Very nice indeed!

f v

Great score. Nice rounds.
Gonna make some great splits & stack nice.
Before long she'll be running the lever on the splitter ;)
(Get her some ear muffs next christmas)

08brute said:
Hollie (my wife) later asked "why does Emmi smell like gas?" to which I replied "she rebuilt her first carburator."

Now that right thar was funny. Thanks for the giggle. (sounds like something I would do.).

And nice haul on the firewood.

Brute, that is a great way to get a lot of firewood quickly. As for the kitchen table, I thought that is what they were made for! Good to get the little ones involved soon too even if rebuilding a carb.

Good wood . . . cute kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.