Last weeks scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

egclassic

Feeling the Heat
Jan 1, 2011
SW Ohio
Got a call from a co-worker that they were cutting down this black walnut tree and asked if I wanted it, come and get it.
I cut, split and stacked it for next year. I think I have read, on here, that black walnut is not all that desirable, but free is free.

Attachments

• scrounge2.jpg
    scrounge2.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 424
  • Scrounge1.jpg
    Scrounge1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 428
Black Walnut is good stuff!

f v

There is nothing wrong with black walnut. No, it won't compare with oak but is still good wood. You did just fine.

Nice catch with the wood. How much you got there? Looks like about 2 face cord. What type of wood do you usually burn? Free is the right price. I am keeping my eyes open for next year. Starting to move my stacks for this year in under my covered porch now. The temps are cooling down a little now, windy and rain all around this weekend.

Gasifier said:
Nice catch with the wood. How much you got there? Looks like about 2 face cord. What type of wood do you usually burn? Free is the right price. I am keeping my eyes open for next year. Starting to move my stacks for this year in under my covered porch now. The temps are cooling down a little now, windy and rain all around this weekend.

I think you are about right, maybe two face cord. It was a decent sized tree, but I left a lot of the smaller stuff behind, to get later.
This is only my second "full" year of wood burning, so as far as what wood type I usually burn I can't say. I got my stove on a "whim" last Dec. So needless to say I was at the mercy of the dreaded local CL posters for "seasoned" wood. That first half of a year of burning was very frustrating to say the least. But as soon as spring hit this year, I have been gathering wood. I have about 2 cords of ash, 1-1/2 cords of cherry, 1 cord of oak(may not be ready), 1/2 cord of osage orange, and some maple.
I should be in better shape this year. I have already had a few fires this year and did not have to "babysit" the stove like last year.

Free is always good and that walnut will provide some good heat.

Nice score.
Free BTU's is always good.
I might have tried to save some for some boards. Sure expensive in the board form.

bogydave said:
Nice score.
I might have tried to save some for some boards. Sure expensive in the board form.

Yeah, as I was splitting it, I kept wondering if I could make something with it, it had beautiful grain. Some of the splits, the heart wood, ended up in what resembled 4" x 4"'s.
Thought maybe I'd throw a few pieces aside incase I feel crafty some day. A friend of mine told me he had made a couple of jewlery boxes for his daughters from some walnut once. I thought about making some grips for my M1911A1, but I am not very good at wood-working.

egclassic said:
bogydave said:
Nice score.

Yeah, as I was splitting it, I kept wondering if I could make something with it, it had beautiful grain. Some of the splits, the heart wood, ended up in what resembled 4" x 4"'s.
Thought maybe I'd throw a few pieces aside incase I feel crafty some day. A friend of mine told me he had made a couple of jewlery boxes for his daughters from some walnut once. I thought about making some grips for my M1911A1, but I am not very good at wood-working.

If you are saving some, paint/wax the ends so it dries slower & it won't split as bad. ;)

egclassic said:
Got a call from a co-worker that they were cutting down this black walnut tree and asked if I wanted it, come and get it.
I cut, split and stacked it for next year. I think I have read, on here, that black walnut is not all that desirable, but free is free.

Looks good egclassic, free is even better.

zap

Only issue I have with BW is the ash it leaves behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.