Latest results on cost to heat my home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickyrick

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2009
Western MA/ Eastern NY
I have kept the results of my home energy usage since purchasing my home. The results show the following.

In 2006, 2007, and 2008 with electric heat in a home build to 1989 build minimum standards, my cost was $0.218 per degree day.

In the summer of 2008 I added attic insulation and dropped my cost to $0.1706 per degree day

In the Fall of 2009 I installed the pellet stove and reduced the cost to $0.1260 per degree day

While this is obviously not super LOW as I could do with a wood stove and going out and cutting my own wood, but I really can not complain.
Where I live the annual average heating degree days has been 6004. That is a net savings of $0.08*6004 or $480.28 per average year. This winter is gonna be higher with this cold. While this sounds low My wife loves it as our interior average temp is up to 73. Yes my Alabama born wife needs it that hot and I'm running around in shorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.