Latest scroung, with pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I talked about this a couple of weeks ago but finally got it all moved to the house this morning. I'm thinking it's close to two cords (will measure once it's stacked) of mixed wood. This is the stack I said was greyed out nicely. It will be the first to get burned this fall.

The grey stack on the left is part of the first load, 8'Lx5'H
IMG_7939.jpg

Here's what we got today (four loads in the back of my father-in-law's Dakota:
IMG_7988.jpg

another view:
IMG_7989.jpg

fv

Nice score..... was it all split for ya already ?

If so thats one hell of a score !!!!

Shawn

Yep, split and most of it is 16" as I need for the stove. The previous owner left it and the new owner isn't going to have the fireplace repaired and knew I was collecting wood so they said please "come take it off our hands." I replied, "Well, sure anything to help out a friend in need." :)

fv

fireview2788 said:
Yep, split and most of it is 16" as I need for the stove. The previous owner left it and the new owner isn't going to have the fireplace repaired and knew I was collecting wood so they said please "come take it off our hands." I replied, "Well, sure anything to help out a friend in need." :)

fv
Wow, it's good that folks can have friends like you to call on!!!!! ;)

Nice score!!!!!!!!

Ed

Great score indeed!

Fireview, you might want to look at that middle stack before it tips over. Being heavy on that one side the bottom on that side will tend to settle in the ground some and it will keep tipping. If not, then frost heave later will cause problems. But I'm betting you can just do some shoving with your body to get it straightened up.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I went out and looked at it and some of it is the angle of the pic. I've got a post on the leaning side to let me know when it's time to give it a good shove. I think I need to start making my stacks shorter.

fv

I find 4 1/2 feet to be the magic number for good stack to stay put.

Backwoods Savage said:
I find 4 1/2 feet to be the magic number for good stack to stay put.

Yea, but your skill level is expert! :coolhmm:

Awesome load! How much more do you figure you need?

Fv, nice score. The only wood I truly like to stack is free wood that is allready split. Otherwise not much fun untill its finished. then you get to look at what you accomplished.

fireview2788 said:
I talked about this a couple of weeks ago but finally got it all moved to the house this morning. I'm thinking it's close to two cords (will measure once it's stacked) of mixed wood. This is the stack I said was greyed out nicely. It will be the first to get burned this fall.

The grey stack on the left is part of the first load, 8'Lx5'H
IMG_7939.jpg

Here's what we got today (four loads in the back of my father-in-law's Dakota:
IMG_7988.jpg

another view:
IMG_7989.jpg

fv

fv nice scrounge, cut & split = very nice.

Zap

Woodystover, I have no idea how much I need since I have never used a stove before. I figure with this score I sit @ about 6 cords. I went through 3 cords last year with the open fireplace so I think I am in good shape for this year. I want the ash to season another year before burning which really takes me down to 4 cords for this winter. I also have more to scrounge from the neighbor's woodlot and I am thinking about cutting, splitting, and stacking it there if I need to. He's already said it was fine.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.