Lawn mower engine problem - need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
I have a SKAG commercial mower that I believe has a kohler 15 hp motor on it. I've had it serviced - but it still gives me one problem. When I am mowing on my front hill and the carburator is on the high side - the motor bogs and sputters. When I mow in the other direction and the carburator is on the low side - it's fine. Any mechanic's on this board?

I am thinking maybe the float is bad? It's really annoying that I can't get it fixed. The fuel tank is full and I can see in the fuel filter that it's not air getting in the line.

The main reason I bought this style mower over a riding mower is due to the hills I have. I am scared I would roll a riding mower. The shop told me - my mower is fine and there's nothing wrong with it. My fuel is fresh and the carb bowl has been emptied and cleaned. There's now way for me to attack the hill in just 1 direction.

Could it be that my hills are too steep and it's not the mowers fault? Perhaps all mowers will cough and choke if turned up on their sides? The hills are pretty steep. Maybe I should give up on the grass and plant something on the parts that are too steep?

Does your carb. have a bowl vent? If so, you could extend the vent a bit, keep the gas from dumping into the carb. when sidehilling. Works on old Jeeps.

basswidow said:
Could it be that my hills are too steep and it's not the mowers fault?
That'd be my guess.

always go up down, never side to side, it's much more stable that way, unless your carb is on the front or back then you're screwed.

basswidow said:
Could it be that my hills are too steep and it's not the mowers fault? Perhaps all mowers will cough and choke if turned up on their sides? The hills are pretty steep. Maybe I should give up on the grass and plant something on the parts that are too steep?

How steep is steep here? I've got a section in my front yard that I do with my push mower and its got to be pushing 30 degrees...mower never bogs in any orientation. Its a steep staircase angle and I mow it L-R, R-L and up-down, down-up.

Can you duplicate the issue by running it and lifting up on one side till it bogs on you? You could show the shop that way. Speaking as a troubleshooter (occasional maker) a huge part of being able to resolve a problem is being able to duplicate it.

You need to mow up and down and up and down and up and down,,,,,, awh I got it wrong again its down and up and down and up and down,,,,,,,, anyways its probably to steep for side to side.

Sounds to me like your float level is set to high. When you go into the part wear the engine is sputtering it is getting to much gas, and more than likely fuel sloshing about.On the other side with the grade it is able to handle this.Float level a bit to high, Ken

I would try adjusting the float to. Usually not to hard or time consuming for someone with a little carb experiance. You can allways put it back if it dont help. Does it smoke blue or black when missing ? If it smokes blue
your getting to much fuel no smoke mabey not enough. Black smoke you may be getting oil where you shouldn't meaning the hill is to steep or try mowing up down.

Humm.. Could it be the low oil shutdown? Carb float does seem most likely here. When it starts to do it again pull the choke and see if it clears up or gets worse. Gets better-lack of fuel, gets worse- to much gas.

my JD does the same thing on the front hill
only the carb is on top in the center of the engine
could be the float I believe mine is oil related

Garnification said:
Humm.. Could it be the low oil shutdown? Carb float does seem most likely here. When it starts to do it again pull the choke and see if it clears up or gets worse. Gets better-lack of fuel, gets worse- to much gas.

+1

It's steep to the point that even going side to side the rear wheels walk down hill on me at times and it's gotten away from me before. Never flipped it yet. I'd be too scared to mow straight down...... the mower tires would skid the whole way down and I'd have to bail off it. It has a velke that I ride on the flat parts but I soley use it as a walk behind on the hill.

Never thought about an auto oil level shut off....... I am not sure this model is that sophisticated. It is not acting like a kill switch.

I think it's more of it getting too much fuel - and yes it has some bluish smoke when it bogs and chokes. I am not sure the bowl has a vent either? It vents up to the air cleaner above so if the bowl fuel runs down hill - perhaps it's dumping into and over loading the carb? When I straighten it out - runs fine.

The previous owner mowed with a John Deere riding mower. I have no idea how they did it without flipping it.

My next house will not be on a hill front lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.