Lawn Tractor problem-any ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Gents:

My pappy has a 2000 Craftsman lawn tractor with a 25HP Kohler engine. It only has 156 hours on the meter, but has sat for the last seven years. I wanted to get it up back and running foruse as a wood hauler. I changed the oil, plugs, oil filter and battery. When you turn the ignition, the battery meter goes to full power, but the engine just goes "click" and does not try to turn over. Does this sound like the starter motor is dead? It's an easy fix and will only run about $70.00, but I wanted to get some feedback before placing the order. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks.

Richg, while there are several other things I would check before starting an engine that has been sitting for 7 years, like cleaning the carb, draining all the old gas, confirm the piston is not seized, etc, I would put a volt meter directly on the battery. It should read about 13 volts. If the battery is good pull the spark plugs out and attempt to turn the engine over by hand. With the plugs out (no compression) it should turn easily. If both of those are good then the starter probably has a problem. You could try tapping on it to see if will break loose. I would also check to see what kind of voltage you are getting directly at the starter to make sure you don't have a wiring problem somewhere else.

Tap the soloniod(sp?) tap it and see if it will start. Or you could jump the solonoid to see if its bad.

Check your ground cables for rust /corrosion ON BOTH ends.

Can you confirm the engine is not siezed? Just try to rock it a bit with your hands. If that checks ok then I'd check the starter motor by jumping the solenoid terminals. Does that engine have a starter mounted solenoid or a separate solenoid mounted on the tractor? Follow the + wire from the battery. If it runs pretty direct to the starter then the solenoid is mounted to the starter. Otherwise you would've found the remote solenoid by following that wire. If jumping the solenoid doesn't cause it to crank then confirm you have good electrical grounds before replacing the starter. If it does crank, then swap out the solenoid.

I have a 2000 22HP Kohler Craftsman garden tractor....I use it to mow....that's when I can get it to start. I think the majority of my problems have been grounding. I have defeated all the saftey switches, which indeed makes it a little bit of a "green herring" for mowing safely. Even if you put in a new battery, it still may need to be charged. I get a lot of the "click" and nothing turns. I pulled off my starter earlier this season and it seemed to spin fine when it was on the bench everytime. Try charging the battery for awhile...after making sure the engine isn't seized. I can turn the mesh by hand and suffiently enough to see that it will turn. I bought a new solenoid as well, maybe $15, but I don't think that is the problem either. It does appear that the regulator is OK, as I get positive current on the meter when the PTO is engaged, though barely, and I'm not sure there's enough juice to charge the battery when in operation. I have basically succumbed to charging it after every couple of mows....and I think I need a new battery after every other year or so...Clearly, I'm no small engine mechanic.

I also think I've had to dump a little gas into the carb by hand to get it going before. Remove the cover over the air filter, then the air filter, and the little bowl is right there (on mine anyways). I've dropped a little gas in there and put the air filter back on...and it has gotten it started. Not sure how the fuel gets sucked up through the line....but I've associated this with needing to get it running to pull the fuel through the line.

Then you can start talking about the really crappy mower deck on the unit...but that's outside this thread. Also, on snow, I found it completely useless, though I never had chains on the tires.

It is the worst tool I have ever bought.

taxidermist said:
Tap the soloniod(sp?) tap it and see if it will start. Or you could jump the solonoid to see if its bad.

+1

I know you didnt ask about it, but if it has sat for seven years, I would also pull the air cleaner housing and the engine shroud to clean out any nests/insects/mice/etc. that have decided to make that home for a while. While you are at it you can see if all of your wires are still connected or if there are any problems with them.

Start with the solenoid as others have said. It might not have a good ground at the base due to rust.

Wasn't that engine but both of my Briggs 18hp horizontally opposed twins did that all of the time. Sometimes whacking the starter with a Cresent wrench did the trick. Other times I had to stick a screw driver in and free the solenoid drive.

If the above ideas don't work:
Pull the plugs, spray in some light oil.
Put a wrench on it, may have to take the fan cover off (or a wrench on the drive pulley underneath). Turn it over slow with a big wrench, with the plugs out.
Sitting that long could seize up the rings/pistons, (electrolysis). Look in the plug holes for signs of corrosion on the sides.

BrotherBart said:
Wasn't that engine but both of my Briggs 18hp horizontally opposed twins did that all of the time. Sometimes whacking the starter with a Cresent wrench did the trick. Other times I had to stick a screw driver in and free the solenoid drive.

Boy am I glad most of the horz. opposed L-head twins are disappering quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.