lazy burn napoleon nps40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsvo

Jun 17, 2008
vt
looking for help or ideas, having problems with a nps40 that is running lazy.three years never had this problem. seems okay when first strarting but then gets lazy in 10 minutes after getting up to temp. cant leave on more than 2 hrs without burn pot filling up. have cleaned stove every which way i can.,been using cubex pellets which have been fine ,have tried from 4 differnt tons of these and still the same thing.have done the dollar bill test and it is tight, have resealed ash pan and still same problem. called company and they say i have an air leak somewhere. help any others had the problem?

You say you've cleaned the stove - how about every inch and elbow of the venting? Have you done the leaf blower thing?

Wow, it's amazing how many threads start like this. Owner says the stove "suddenly" has a poor or dirty burn, or won't stay lit and pellets build-up in the pot, and the stove is 100% "squeaky clean"........then we ask a bunch of questions about HOW it (and the venting) were cleaned and how long ago, etc, etc, etc. Almost invariably, it finally comes out that the stove and/or the venting is dirty.

My advice is to rip the stove apart, along with the exhaust pipes and the OAK (if you have one)......a stove that "suddenly" starts burning poorly after "years of burning great" is most likely plugged with ash somewhere.

See this thread, and read the OP's initial post, then post #23, and finally post #38 :roll:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/90733/P0/

Start with the easy thing clean the entire system. Save us from telling you 30 or more things that it might be, but likely isn't.

Attach a nice strong leaf blower in suction mode after removing and cleaning the termination cap, pointing it so it doesn't cover things with ash.

Then with the blower running strike the rear metal walls of your firebox be careful and don't do this if your stoves insides are made of cast metal.

Locate and open all ash traps use those brushes and ream it out good, same thing with the paths between the heat exchanger tubes if your stove has them.

Get a gasket for the combustion blower, remove and clean the impeller, blower motor, the attached cooling fan, then clean out the cavity you removed the blower from.

While inside the stove clean the convection blower just to be a neat nick.

I have the same stove. If there have been NO changes in the pellets since when you were getting a good burn, then there are a couple of areas to consider. Can be draft, can be dirty.
I once forgot to fasten one of the clips to the ash collection drawer. Those side panels were closed so it was not easily discovered.
So red faced when I found out what I had done!
I am including a vid on some trouble shooting and cleaning instructions specific to your stove.
nice vid. shows cleaning the blower
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5miM0Puwf8c

i understand this should all go back to cleaning. this is the way i clean my stove. everyday i clean my burn pot out.once a week i vacuum stove,open little doors and clean,pull rod and clean tubes at top of stove,then clean with a brush,then tap on top of stove for any loose and vacuum again. every two-three weeks i do the leaf blower trick and clean my stove pipes. this is the way it has been for three years.since this has happened i have taken the stove pipe apart,vacuumed and blew air through the oak.remove the fan for the exhaust for the first time ever and was happy to say it was very clean.leaf blower must work.resealed behind ash pan where there was factory silicone as was told to do by napoleon as they have had this as a problem before.tonite i started stove and it hasnt built up pellets yet,but i used a different bag of cubex that a friend is using in his stove. has been running for about 4 hours.seems better but not right. have to have pellet rated on 4.75 out of 5 and air on 5. not what it should be. im sure its simple but driving me nuts. i have a pellet stove that runs at my work 24/7 for five years and never had this problem and dont maintain as well as this.have a friend that i swear never cleans his and it just keeps on going. if anyone asks i have a 90 off stove then up 4feet then straight out wall 2 feet then with cap on it. 3" pipe. thanks for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.