lbf/lba and thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoboy31

Feb 19, 2009
upstate,ny
trying to come up with ideas to run the stove(25pdvc) on 2/1 heat settings and control the fuel/air rates. i do enjoy the convenience of thermostat operation. has anyone been able to adjust the lbf/lba settings and have it work well with thermostat? what were your settings? how well does it work with varying outside temps vs. inside temp regulation?

I am running PDVC25 on a thermostat - unfinished basement install with OAK. Here is what I have had the most success with. Electronic thermostat is much better than a mechanical thermostat - much more stable temps and cycles more frequently. On low burn I look for a pilot light so to speak - just enough fire to keep it running. LFF2 LBA1 is the best setting for my stove and pellet type - doesnt throw much heat - but doesnt use much pellets either. For the high setting I use factory settings of 3-3 or 4-4. I try to keep stove running all the time - shut down once week for cleaning. If the temps are fairly stable around 0 this works good, basement 75 and main floor 67 for temps. If it warms up outside to the 30's it gets hot in house. Below 0 and basement stays warm but upstairs gets cooler. Usually burn very close to a bad a day, a little more when colder - a little less when warmer. If the stove does not run for a day or so it takes a long time for the basement to come back to 75.

i was actually refering to setting the stove on heat 2 and adjusting the lff/lba settings to produce good heat/cleaner burn and have the thermostat kick the heat to 1. didn't know if anyone tried this combination or not.

I think I understand what you are getting at. Cycle between 1 and 2 heat settings, with 2 being when the thermostat calls for heat and 1 being when not calling for heat. With the advantage being that you can control feed rate and burn air on both settings. I did try this but came to the conclusion that the settings between 1 and 2 remain the same with regards to fuel feed and burn air, just one level higher. I did not find an advantage to this. I came up with a good low burn ratio and use factory settings on level 3 or 4 for when tstat calls for heat. Let me know if you come up with anything.

Call me naive, but what is lff/lba ?

My guess is the 3 buttons on the bottom of the control? If so where can I get info on thier functions, Englander support (although very good) did not want to divulg any info on them. Just that they were "factory settings".

they refer to low burn air/low fuel feed settings. they only affect burning on heat range settings 1&2.some people like to adjust these settings for a cleaner/more reliable burn when in heat 1/2. they are intended for adjustment due to pellet variations/venting variations. if you adjust them, you can get quite a lot of heat from them. any adjustments you make, you should allow 20-30 minutes to see"settled-in" results. adjustment of these settings is trial and error per pellet brand. all heat range settings from 3-9 are preset and unaffected by low-burn adjustments.

Cool, thank you!

Does the air on temp refer to the convection blower?

just a quick update: with my heat2/blower9/lff7/lba9,this thing is definitely putting out some heat(can't touch the top of the stove anymore) wish the room blower couls go higher. by the way, i welded the two half-moon shaped burnplate holes shut and drilled 5-7/32" holes randomly around the flat part of the burnplate last year. getting a pretty clean burn,but gonna give the steel wool to the two holes under the plate a try as well as tightening the baffle plate to the back wall. i'll post back after running for a while.

Have you measured the temps coming out of the conv. blower?

What type of pellets are you using?

haven't taken any temp readings---going to the hardware store later today to get a stove thermostat and some fine steel wool. i'll probably be getting readings off the top of the stove,not the blown air. as of right now, i can honestly say the top of the stove is much hotter with a 9 blower than it used to be with a 7 blower. burning green teams bought last year@ end of season. don't seem any hotter than the tidy timbers i got this year.

I'm going to give that air fuel combo a try tonight, I only have NEWP's to try it with. I burn at 1 or 2 75% of the time as the englander is supplimental to my Quadrafire wood insert.
Thanks for the info.
-Brian

READING 230F AT FRONT OF STOVE VENTS. USING A STOVE THERMOMETER----MAGNETIC MOUNT STUCK TO TOP LIP OF STOVE WITH AIR BLOWING DIRECTLY ON THE LITTLE BI-METAL COIL. HAVENT TRIED THE STEEL WOOL YET.

speedoboy31 said:
just a quick update: with my heat2/blower9/lff7/lba9,this thing is definitely putting out some heat(can't touch the top of the stove anymore).....
IMO speedoboy, you are defeating the purpose of the low heat settings. The low burn settings on heat 1 & 2 are supposed to use small amounts of pellets.

Most people that have your stove run the bottom buttons on settings like 4-6-1, 5-6-1, 4-5-1, etc. The fact that you have the LFF at 7 and LBA at 9 is why you get a lot of heat....your putting a lot of pellets into the pot and adding a lot of air.

Why not put those settings back to a "normal" range, and if you want more heat, turn up the heat setting.

trying lower settings for their adjustability. on the 3-9 range, i was getting a little dirty burning,but not bad. just trying to lean/richen the fire to see if i can clean it up a little.

presently burning on 5/7 with lff4,lba6. did steel wool and complete cleaning including leaf blower. with my lff/lba settings cranked up, temp stablized around 250f. now showing 215 for a stable temp. a bit lower, but also less pellets being burnt. steel woll seems to help it burn cleaner,but, its a little early to tell.

speedoboy31 said:
presently burning on 5/7 with lff4,lba6......with my lff/lba settings cranked up, temp stablized around 250f. now showing 215 for a stable temp

You lost me here. When your stove is on heat settings 3 or above, the lower 3 buttons have no effect. Not sure what your trying to accomplish.... :blank:

imacman said:
speedoboy31 said:
just a quick update: with my heat2/blower9/lff7/lba9,this thing is definitely putting out some heat(can't touch the top of the stove anymore).....
IMO speedoboy, you are defeating the purpose of the low heat settings. The low burn settings on heat 1 & 2 are supposed to use small amounts of pellets.

Most people that have your stove run the bottom buttons on settings like 4-6-1, 5-6-1, 4-5-1, etc. The fact that you have the LFF at 7 and LBA at 9 is why you get a lot of heat....your putting a lot of pellets into the pot and adding a lot of air.

Why not put those settings back to a "normal" range, and if you want more heat, turn up the heat setting.

Trying to help my dear ole Dad out w/ his new 25-PDV. It's wayyyy too much stove for his home requirements...at least for the mild weather we're having now.

He needs his 1 and 2 setting tuned back quite a bit. so he can idle along while using a T'stat. Now he not using the stat, but wants to, and he's getting too much heat on the #1 setting and wasting his pellets too.

We'll have to be into the next Ice Age before he even thinks of using Setting #9.

So, Help Me Out please,

How do we enter the menu in the first place and then how do we change to a lower spectrum of heat? I understand we're only going to be able to lower setting #1 and 2 but that will be just fine since we will be adding the T'stat.

master of smoke said:
.....He needs his 1 and 2 setting tuned back quite a bit. so he can idle along while using a T'stat. Now he not using the stat, but wants to, and he's getting too much heat on the #1 setting and wasting his pellets too.

How do we enter the menu in the first place and then how do we change to a lower spectrum of heat? I understand we're only going to be able to lower setting #1 and 2 but that will be just fine since we will be adding the T'stat.

First of all, what are the current (factory) lower button settings?

Secondly, AFAIK, this stove runs on Hi-Lo heat setting once a stat is connected. Keeping the stat set low will allow the stove to stay in the lo fire mode.

I'll have to go check his stove for that...How can I read them?

When T'sat IS NOT calling for heat it gives a #1 setting...that's the problem...too dang hot!
Englander recommends setting the stove @ #9...which is where it will run @ when T'stat IS calling for heat. (Maybe that's the Hi / Lo you're referring to)
We abandoned the T'stat till we get this tamed down because we need it to Idle wayyyy lower on #1.

I realize we don't necessarily need to set stove to #9, as recommended, when using a T'stat...more than likely #5 6,7,or whatever works.

master of smoke said:
I'll have to go check his stove for that...How can I read them?

When T'sat IS NOT calling for heat it gives a #1 setting...that's the problem...too dang hot!
Englander recommends setting the stove @ #9...which is where it will run @ when T'stat IS calling for heat.
We abandoned the T'stat till we get this tamed down because we need it to Idle wayyyy lower on #1.

I realize we don't necessarily need to set to #9 as recommended...more than likely #5 6,7,or whatever works.

To read current lower button settings, simply push each button and the current setting will show in the display above.

As for the heat/blower settings while connected to a stat, since you're saying the stove puts out a lot of heat, I'd set them to 2-2 or 1-1.

I don't know that you will be able to "control" how low the stove will go on "idle" when the stat isn't calling for heat......that may be pre-set in the control board.

If these suggestions don't help, I think you need to be next to the stove, and then give Mike Holton at Englander Tech a call tomorrow.....his extension is #131.

imacman,

I Thank You for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.