Leaner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
I rarely ever cut standing dead trees. There are so many already on the ground, and between those and the ones that will soon fall on their own, it keeps me busy enough without cutting the standing ones. This nice little dead white oak was easy pickings right next to the trail, with the snow-cover and all. Besides, it was going to someday fall across the trail anyway. So I cut it.
IMG_5198.jpg

And wouldn't you know it, the one standing tree I cut down in a long time and the first thing it does is get hung up! Oh well. One cut at a time, kick it, one more cut, another kick...
IMG_5200.jpg

...and eventually it's all on the ground and cut up.
IMG_5201.jpg

I'm going to end up destroying my little old sled. Somehow I don't think it was designed for this, but I got every last piece of firewood from that tree on in one load! One word of advice; don't buy a round gas can. They're just not smart enough to stay put. I'm hoping someday I run over this one and wreck it, then I can justify buying a new one; a SQUARE one! I tied it to my 026, and even then the stupid round gas can tried to push my antique Wolf's Head bar oil bottle over the edge (is Wolf's Head still in business?). My 026 never falls off. My magnificent maul never falls off either. Is there anything that maul can't do?
IMG_5204.jpg

Passing a few of my "woods stacks" on the way back home.
IMG_5208.jpg

I made it almost the mile back home, about right here, before pieces of firewood starting tumbling off the sled!
IMG_5209.jpg

You sure keep you toys working for you! But you might want to think twice about that can and make a holder on the sled for it. The new ones they are selling are a pain to use. The only good one I have gotten recently is a 2.5 gal from Bailes that you tip over and push a button to despence the gas.

I got to play in the hardwoods at my cousin's last weekend. He doesn't like to cut the spars down. He just cuts up the tops that broke off and leaves the stems standing. I went out and cut the stems down dragged them to the barn and cut them up. I thought it was great not to have any branches to cut up and I was able to get a cord and a 1/4 in a hour and a half.

Billy

The gas can told them to jump!!

As always beautiful photos man!

I have a milk-crate on the front of my usual wood hauling trailer to hold the not-so-smart gas can. Since there's too much snow for the trailer, I've been using the temporary wood hauling sled. Either way, I think I want to run that gas can over!

On your next leaner, you might want to try a cut 90* to the angle of the lean, and the use wedges or a rope & winch to pull the tree clear. In your pics it looked like you could have dropped it right into the trail by doing this. I've cut leaners the way you did, but they are very unpredictable, can kick out, shift, etc., and full of high risk for serious injury or worse.

jebatty said:
On your next leaner, you might want to try a cut 90* to the angle of the lean, and the use wedges or a rope & winch to pull the tree clear. In your pics it looked like you could have dropped it right into the trail by doing this. I've cut leaners the way you did, but they are very unpredictable, can kick out, shift, etc., and full of high risk for serious injury or worse.
Thanks for the advice! You are right, every one of them is unpredictable and usually does kick, or roll over, or jump back.

I've never had any wedges. The winch I have mounts into the receiver hitch on the rear of my ATV, so can't use it when I'm pulling the trailer or sled. It rarely gets used. It's all too complicated for me.

I had the video running on my camera when I cut this tree but I decided not to post it. Danger, injury, death; that's what I call excitement! Ha ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.