Leaning silver birch down!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchip

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2010
Broadstone England
After seeing pictures of everyone else's weekend work, I thought a few pictures from over here might be of interest.

A few weeks ago I let the council know of a leaning silver birch by a small trail in the woodland behind our house.

I'd happily take the bowsaw to something down, and small, but this was up in the air, and tall. And over 14" across at the base.

Fortunately, the council guys came yesterday and dropped it, and a couple of others nearby, leaving the wood behind, very thoughtful of them.......

First picture is of the tree a few weeks ago:

1Leaningtree.jpg

Second is of it down, note logging bike at the ready....:

2Leaningtreedown.jpg

Having dragged it home, I found some of it had already started to show signs of rot, so it was just as well it was taken down now:

3Firstsignsofrotalreadythere.jpg

The signs are more noticeable just under the bark, which is almost completely waterproof on silver birches:

4rotjustvisibleunderbark.jpg

So I got cracking and split it and got stacking in some open stacks as we have some windy weather forecast, hopefully it'll now start to dry quickly.

I'm really pleased it's down now, tomorrow's work is to get the rest in and stacked away ;-)

5CSSasap.jpg

Great work! I'd love to see more of this logging bike!!

[quote author="woodchip" date="1322341538"]After seeing pictures of everyone else's weekend work, I thought a few pictures from over here might be of interest.

woodchip, nice work getting the wood home. It looks like a very nice trail.

zap

Interesting wood stack Chip! Here we call that White Birch and it's decent medium BTU firewood.. Did you really haul that wood with your bike and if so how?

Ray

Very nice.
Careful with the stack, the split bottom left looks like a rocker, keep kids away. :)

I'll be out with the bike today getting a few more bits in.

6Loggingbike.jpg

Ray, the trails are quite bumpy here and there and I've tried with a porters trolley and a wheelbarrow, but the bike copes with the big ruts a lot easier!

Dave, 3 vertical stacks there so far, I've stacked it as openly as possible to allow maximum airflow whilst we have a dry windy spell.........no kids about at the moment so no worries there.

Hopefully, once I burn more wood (I'm trying hard, honest), I can move this birch to a more permanent position, at the moment everywhere seems full of wood.......

Or so I've been told by Mrs woodchip ;-)

woodchip said:
I'll be out with the bike today getting a few more bits in.

6Loggingbike.jpg

Ray, the trails are quite bumpy here and there and I've tried with a porters trolley and a wheelbarrow, but the bike copes with the big ruts a lot easier!

Dave, 3 vertical stacks there so far, I've stacked it as openly as possible to allow maximum airflow whilst we have a dry windy spell.........no kids about at the moment so no worries there.

Hopefully, once I burn more wood (I'm trying hard, honest), I can move this birch to a more permanent position, at the moment everywhere seems full of wood.......

Or so I've been told by Mrs woodchip ;-)

Great pic woodchip! What is a porters trolley? Is that what we call a wagon here with 4 wheels? You may be across the pond but you're definitely one of us!

Ray

My little trolley has only 2 wheels, this was last November in the snow, a lot milder this year......

IMG_3398.jpg

woodchip said:
My little trolley has only 2 wheels, this was last November in the snow, a lot milder this year......

IMG_3398.jpg

Oh OK here we call that a hand truck.. I never would have guessed that thanx for the pic it says it all..

Ray

Good for you getting that wood and getting it split. That is a testament to what happens when birch dies. It can look good on the outside but terrible on the inside. Looks like most of that one should do you just fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.